1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy states in the nucleus

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    The nucleus of an atom has discrete energy states. And most of the time it emits gamma rays and x-rays from the nucleus. If I pack enough atoms into a solid or some other configuration could I get the nucleus to emit visible light. Is there any way I could manipulate the states to get them to emit visible light.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What makes you think that packing more atoms into a solid will cause a nucleus to emit any kind of radiation? Forming a solid is an atomic process involving electrons, not the nucleus energy states.

Zz.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    good point, could we use alpha particles

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's puzzling what you are agreeing to, and what you are trying to ask/propose.

Zz.

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    yes..puzzling.....

As stated, I don't think so but you are not so far off.

Are thinking about nuclear fusion??

"The fusion of two nuclei with lower masses than iron..... generally releases energy, while the fusion of nuclei heavier than iron absorbs energy."

[check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion] [Broken]

That WILL do it.

"lower masses than iron" covers visible light from stars.. like our own sun.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Sep 13, 2011 #6
    Alpha particle are atoms - just a specific type with no electrons.

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    If i get an alpha particle close to a nucleus would have one wave function interacting with another and it would seem that it would change the energy levels of the nucleus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook