Can Nuclei Emit Visible Light and Be Manipulated to Change Energy States?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of causing a nucleus to emit visible light by packing enough atoms into a solid or manipulating its energy states. However, it is noted that forming a solid is an atomic process involving electrons, not the nucleus energy states. The idea of using alpha particles is brought up, but it is mentioned that they are atoms without electrons and may not have an effect on the nucleus energy states. The concept of nuclear fusion is also mentioned as a way to produce visible light.
cragar
The nucleus of an atom has discrete energy states. And most of the time it emits gamma rays and x-rays from the nucleus. If I pack enough atoms into a solid or some other configuration could I get the nucleus to emit visible light. Is there any way I could manipulate the states to get them to emit visible light.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that packing more atoms into a solid will cause a nucleus to emit any kind of radiation? Forming a solid is an atomic process involving electrons, not the nucleus energy states.

Zz.

good point, could we use alpha particles

cragar said:

It's puzzling what you are agreeing to, and what you are trying to ask/propose.

Zz.

yes..puzzling...

If I pack enough atoms into a solid or some other configuration could I get the nucleus to emit visible light.

As stated, I don't think so but you are not so far off.

Are thinking about nuclear fusion??

"The fusion of two nuclei with lower masses than iron... generally releases energy, while the fusion of nuclei heavier than iron absorbs energy."

[check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion]

That WILL do it.

"lower masses than iron" covers visible light from stars.. like our own sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
cragar said:

Alpha particle are atoms - just a specific type with no electrons.

If i get an alpha particle close to a nucleus would have one wave function interacting with another and it would seem that it would change the energy levels of the nucleus.

1. What are energy states in the nucleus?

Energy states in the nucleus refer to the different levels of energy that the particles in the nucleus possess. These energy levels are determined by the arrangement of protons and neutrons, and can affect the stability and behavior of the nucleus.

2. How are energy states in the nucleus determined?

The energy states in the nucleus are determined by the quantum mechanical properties of the particles in the nucleus, such as their spin and angular momentum. These properties dictate the energy levels that particles can occupy within the nucleus.

3. Can energy states in the nucleus change?

Yes, energy states in the nucleus can change through processes such as nuclear reactions or radioactive decay. These changes can result in the release or absorption of energy, and can also alter the stability of the nucleus.

4. How do energy states in the nucleus affect nuclear reactions?

The energy states in the nucleus can determine which particles are available to participate in a nuclear reaction and how much energy will be released or absorbed during the reaction. The specific energy states of the particles involved can also impact the likelihood and speed of the reaction.

5. What is the significance of understanding energy states in the nucleus?

Understanding energy states in the nucleus is crucial for studying and predicting the behavior of nuclear particles. It also plays a vital role in fields such as nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, and astrophysics. Additionally, knowledge of energy states in the nucleus can help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the origins of the universe.