Energy stored in charged ring current

In summary, The speaker is seeking help with calculating the mass of a charged, spinning ring in a kerr-newmann black hole scenario. They also mention a simpler question about the work required to shrink an infinitely large charged ring to a specific radius, which they believe yields an infinite answer due to the assumption of an infinitely tiny wire. They provide links to further discussions on the topic.
michael879
I'm a little disappointed in myself for not being able to calculate this or find the answer online, but I've hit a bit of a mental block so I was hoping someone could help me out a bit. I was doing a thought experiment involving kerr-newmann black holes, and basically I would like to calculate what the mass of a charged, spinning ring would be CLASSICALLY.

So let's say there is a ring of radius r, charge density λ, and angular velocity ω. How much work would it take to construct such a ring?

A more simple question, that I'm struggling with as well (not proud of myself here) is just to find the work required to shrink an infinitely large charged ring to radius r. The answer I get is infinite but I find that very hard to believe...

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is energy stored in charged ring current?

The energy stored in charged ring current refers to the potential energy that is contained within a charged ring or loop of current. This energy is stored in the magnetic field created by the current, and can be released as electromagnetic energy when the current is disrupted or changes.

2. How is energy stored in charged ring current calculated?

The energy stored in a charged ring current can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2)LI^2, where E is the energy in joules, L is the inductance of the ring in henries, and I is the current in amperes. This formula is derived from the energy stored in a magnetic field, which is proportional to the square of the current and the inductance of the field.

3. What is the significance of energy stored in charged ring current?

The energy stored in charged ring current is significant because it can be released as electromagnetic energy, which can have various practical applications. This energy can also affect the behavior of charged particles and magnetic fields in the surrounding space, leading to phenomena such as auroras and geomagnetic storms.

4. How does energy stored in charged ring current impact Earth's magnetic field?

The energy stored in charged ring current is one of the main drivers of Earth's magnetic field. This energy is constantly being replenished and released by the solar wind, and it plays a crucial role in shaping and maintaining Earth's magnetic field. Changes in the energy stored in charged ring current can also cause fluctuations in the strength and direction of Earth's magnetic field.

5. Can energy stored in charged ring current be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the energy stored in charged ring current can be harnessed for practical use. One example is the use of electromagnets, which utilize the energy stored in a charged ring current to create a strong magnetic field that can be used in various industrial and technological applications. However, the amount of energy that can be harnessed from charged ring currents is relatively small compared to other sources, so it is not a major source of energy production.