1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy values of a half harmonic oscillator

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1
    energy values of a "half" harmonic oscillator

This is the full question:
    Find the solution to the "half" harmonic oscillator:
    [​IMG]
    Compare the energy values and wave functions with those of the full harmonic oscillator. Why are some of the full solutions present and some missing in the "half" problem?

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to find a solution for the wave function of a "half" harmonic oscillator. I can picture what this would look like, since if we "halved" a harmonic oscillator the left end point for energy levels E_1, E_3, E_5 and so on wouldn't be any good since the left end point would no longer be zero at the boundary.

I'm having some trouble figuring out how I should adapt the time-indepedent Schrodinger equation to these new boundaries because the book we use only mentions it briefly in the appendix. I don't even know what equation to look at because when I searched it online I got an equation that looked different from my book.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?