1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engine model

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    I wasn't sure of where this question is best suited but since my interest is only mathematical I figured this is a good forum.

Using vectors I came up with a formula for the height of a piston above the center of the crankshaft for any given angle x (in radians). I set an x,y coordinate system with the origin at the center of the crank. With x=0 radians the crankshaft has the lower end of the connecting rod along the positive x-axis.

So if a is the radius of the crankshaft and b is the length of the connecting rod we have

[tex]
    f(x)=asin(x)+b \sqrt{ \frac{1-a^2cos^2(x)}{b^2} }
    [/tex]

So if that formula is correct then if I differentiate it I should have a formula for the change of height with respect to any given angle. This is
    [tex]
    f'(x)= \frac{a^2*b*sin(x)*cos(x)}{ \sqrt{ b^2-a^2*cos^2(x) }} +a*cos(x)
    [/tex]

So to get the velocity I need to take [tex] \frac{f'*2 \pi*t}{minute}[/tex] where t is any given rpm.

So if I did everything correctly I should be able to find the speed in units of length per minute of the piston for any given rpm t.

So did I make any mistakes so far? Or does everything seem ok?

Thanks for your time....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Apart from two typos, both involving b, your working is OK.

I derived the eqn for the piston speed using a different method and got the same eqn as yourself, so that provides some confrmation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook