Is my formula for piston height and velocity in an engine correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a formula for the height of a piston above the center of the crankshaft, using vectors and an x,y coordinate system. The formula is f(x)=asin(x)+b√(1-a^2cos^2(x)/b^2), and the derivative for calculating the change in height is f'(x)=(a^2*b*sin(x)*cos(x))/√(b^2-a^2*cos^2(x)) + a*cos(x). The conversation also discusses the use of this formula to calculate the speed of the piston in units of length per minute for any given rpm. The speaker asks for confirmation of their work, and the responder notes that there are two typos
Townsend
I wasn't sure of where this question is best suited but since my interest is only mathematical I figured this is a good forum.

Using vectors I came up with a formula for the height of a piston above the center of the crankshaft for any given angle x (in radians). I set an x,y coordinate system with the origin at the center of the crank. With x=0 radians the crankshaft has the lower end of the connecting rod along the positive x-axis.

So if a is the radius of the crankshaft and b is the length of the connecting rod we have

[tex]
f(x)=asin(x)+b \sqrt{ \frac{1-a^2cos^2(x)}{b^2} }
[/tex]

So if that formula is correct then if I differentiate it I should have a formula for the change of height with respect to any given angle. This is
[tex]
f'(x)= \frac{a^2*b*sin(x)*cos(x)}{ \sqrt{ b^2-a^2*cos^2(x) }} +a*cos(x)
[/tex]

So to get the velocity I need to take [tex] \frac{f'*2 \pi*t}{minute}[/tex] where t is any given rpm.

So if I did everything correctly I should be able to find the speed in units of length per minute of the piston for any given rpm t.

So did I make any mistakes so far? Or does everything seem ok?

Thanks for your time...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Apart from two typos, both involving b, your working is OK.

I derived the eqn for the piston speed using a different method and got the same eqn as yourself, so that provides some confrmation.

Based on the information provided, it seems like your formula for piston height and velocity in an engine is correct. You have properly set up the coordinate system and have used vectors to come up with a formula for the height of the piston. Your differentiation of the formula also seems correct, which would give you the velocity of the piston at any given angle.

However, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations, especially when they involve complex mathematical concepts like vectors and derivatives. It might be helpful to have someone else review your work and provide feedback to ensure that everything is correct.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that in real-world scenarios, there may be other factors that could affect the height and velocity of the piston, such as friction and air resistance. So while your formula may provide an accurate estimation, it may not be entirely accurate in all situations.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the mathematical concepts involved in calculating piston height and velocity. Keep up the good work and continue to refine your formula as needed. Good luck!

Related to Is my formula for piston height and velocity in an engine correct?

1. How do I calculate piston height and velocity in an engine?

The formula for calculating piston height and velocity in an engine is as follows:

piston height = stroke x (1 - (connecting rod length / crank radius))

piston velocity = (2 x stroke x rpm) / 60

Where the stroke is the distance the piston moves up and down within the cylinder, the connecting rod length is the distance between the center of the crankshaft and the center of the piston pin, and the crank radius is the distance from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the crank pin.

2. What are the units for piston height and velocity?

The units for piston height are typically measured in millimeters (mm) or inches (in). The units for piston velocity are usually measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per minute (ft/min).

3. Is my formula for calculating piston height and velocity accurate for all types of engines?

The formula provided is a general formula and may not be accurate for all types of engines. It is important to consider the specific design and components of the engine in question when calculating piston height and velocity.

4. Can I use this formula to determine the optimal piston height and velocity for my engine?

The formula provided can give a general idea of the piston height and velocity for an engine, but it may not always result in the optimal values. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or mechanic for specific calculations and recommendations for your engine.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating piston height and velocity?

In addition to the components mentioned in the formula, other factors that may impact piston height and velocity include the size and shape of the intake and exhaust ports, the type of fuel and air mixture used, and the operating temperature of the engine. It is important to take into account all of these factors for a more accurate calculation.