Engineering Doctorates: Job Outlook, Opportunities in Academia & National Labs

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, there are job opportunities for engineers with PhDs in both industry and academia, but competition may be tough. It is important to research the job outlook for your chosen field and to speak with professionals in the industry to make an informed decision about pursuing a PhD in engineering.
Ritzycat
Hello everyone. I have a few questions for people who have decided to go this path or know a bit about it. What is the job outlook for people that get PhDs in engineering? I understand that for most entry-level jobs, PhDs are deemed "overqualified". Are there sufficient openings in engineering (notably nuclear or chemical engineering) in academia? Or is it similar to the sciences where there is a glut of graduates and postdocs but a lack of faculty positions? Additionally, are there any other research positions at national labs for engineers that hire a decent amount of PhDs?

I really want to get a PhD in a STEM related-subject, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding what - I don't want to be locked in postdoc after postdoc for 10 years, but I'd really still like to do something that I love.

Physics news on Phys.org
The job outlook for engineers with a PhD varies depending on the field and specialization. Generally, engineers with PhDs are in high demand in industry, but competition is fierce and there are often fewer openings than applicants. In academia, there is a glut of graduates and postdocs, and competition for faculty positions can be very tough. However, there are some research positions at national labs that do hire PhD engineers, such as the National Renewable Energy Lab and the National Nuclear Security Administration. When it comes to deciding which field to pursue, it is important to consider which areas have the best job prospects. It is also important to do research on the different programs available and to speak with people who are already working in the field. This will help to ensure that you make an informed decision about which program to pursue.

What is an engineering doctorate?

An engineering doctorate, also known as a PhD in engineering, is a research-based degree that prepares individuals for careers in academia, research, and industry. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and requires a significant research project and dissertation.

What is the job outlook for individuals with an engineering doctorate?

The job outlook for individuals with an engineering doctorate is strong, with a projected growth of 5% in employment from 2019-2029. This growth is primarily driven by the demand for engineers in various industries, including technology, healthcare, and energy.

What are the opportunities for engineering doctorates in academia?

Engineering doctorates have a variety of opportunities in academia, including teaching and conducting research at universities and colleges. They may also have the opportunity to mentor and advise graduate students and collaborate with other faculty members on research projects.

What are the opportunities for engineering doctorates in national labs?

Engineering doctorates have opportunities in national labs, such as the Department of Energy's national laboratories, where they can conduct cutting-edge research in various engineering fields. These labs offer access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, as well as opportunities to collaborate with other scientists and engineers.

What types of industries can engineering doctorates work in?

Engineering doctorates can work in a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. They may also have opportunities in government agencies and consulting firms. The skills and knowledge gained through their research and education make them well-suited for a wide range of engineering roles.