1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering doctorates

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone. I have a few questions for people who have decided to go this path or know a bit about it. What is the job outlook for people that get PhDs in engineering? I understand that for most entry-level jobs, PhDs are deemed "overqualified". Are there sufficient openings in engineering (notably nuclear or chemical engineering) in academia? Or is it similar to the sciences where there is a glut of graduates and postdocs but a lack of faculty positions? Additionally, are there any other research positions at national labs for engineers that hire a decent amount of PhDs?

I really want to get a PhD in a STEM related-subject, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding what - I don't want to be locked in postdoc after postdoc for 10 years, but I'd really still like to do something that I love.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted