1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Dynamics - Velocity and Acceleration Analysis

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a picture of the problem! http://imgur.com/suJxZ0F
    Also here it is in text,

Rod AB rotates with the angular velocity and acceleration clockwise as shown. Points A,B and C are pin connected. Point C is free to slide horizontally as shown in the figure at the instant shown determine

The velocity and acceleration of point B
    The angular velocity and acceleration of rod BC, omegaBC, alphaBC
    The acceleration of point C

omegaAB = 6 rad/s
    alphaAB = 3 rad/s
    length of rod AB = 0.5 m
    length of rod BC = 0.8 m

2. Relevant equations
    v = ωr (1)
    an = ω2r (2)
    at = αr (3)
    vb = va + vb/a (4)
    ab = aa + ab/a (5)

ωdω = αdθ (6)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found the velocity of B as 3 m/s but using equation (1) and the angular velocity and length of the rod AB. Next I determined the normal and tangential acceleration of B by using equations (2)(3) and the angular acceleration, angular velocity, and length of rod AB. From the normal and tangential acceleration I used Pythagorean theorem to find the acceleration of point B = 18.06 m/s2. Next I got the angular velocity of BC by using equation (1) and using the length of BC as well as the velocity of B = 3.75 m/s. Next I found the angular acceleration of BC by using equation 3 and the acceleration of B and the length of BC, the angular acceleration I found was 22.575 rad/s2. I don't think I am doing this right, could somebody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted