Engineing Help: Controllable Powerheads for Aquariums

In summary: You need a soft starter for your motor. They are not available for motors of that size. You need a low wattage power supply to slow the pump motor just above stall.
gajopo
The application may seem trivial, but I need to control an aquarium powerhead (pump). I'm an elevator adjuster by trade and have no problem understanding schematics and scouring datasheets but am by no means an electrical engineer.

My issue simplified, controllable powerheads cost 8-10X the cost of the same flow 120vac single speed synchronous pumps. Their ac counterparts are simple, two coils, one with a few extra turns to get the permanent magnet impeller to turn in the desired direction. Problem is with the interval timing circuit I am using the causes the pumps to "chatter" upon excitation stressing my much loved salt water inhabitants. Yes I could spend 1500$ on Tunze controllable pumps with a controller, but I like the 150$ approach better if possible.

What I would like to accomplish is a circuit that would supply 60hz during their "on" state and 1-59hz during their "off" state, slowing them to near their synchronous stall state (1-59hz, maybe 17hz??...). 60Hz is simple as I am doing that now.

How can I make a 120vac (+- 40v) 1-59Hz power supply? I have been scouring the internet for days and decided to just start posting were someone with the knowledge may see this and give me something I can plug into Electronics Workbenches MultiSim for trial and error.

For those of you who may care, a Hydor Koralia 4 (What I'm using) costs 30$. A Tunze Stream starts at 329$ plus the 12vdc controller. Both pump water, one just capitalizes on control via a large price hike.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Gary

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you say interval timing circuit, is it just a circuit to turn them on and off at different times during the day?

Right now I am using 2 .1 to 99 second in-line timers and 2 relays. The pumps are on opposite sides of the tank set at 12 seconds, simulating the ebb and flow found in natural reefs.

Sounds like a soft starter is what you would need, can't say whether they are available for motors of that size though.

There is my problem. Single phase soft starts require specific motors with special windings, centrifugal switches, capacitors and on...

If I can find a way to make a 120vac adjustable frequency low wattage power supply I can supply on its hysteresis(off) state to slow the pump motor just above stall I will achieve my goal. At least that's my theory!

I do appreciate your interest! Keep asking.

Gary

What are controllable powerheads for aquariums?

Controllable powerheads for aquariums are devices that help circulate water in fish tanks. They are typically placed at the bottom of the tank and use propellers to create water movement.

How do controllable powerheads work?

Controllable powerheads use an electric motor to spin the propeller, creating a current that moves water throughout the tank. They can be controlled through a remote or a smartphone app, allowing for customizable flow patterns and intensity.

What are the benefits of using controllable powerheads in aquariums?

Controllable powerheads help to mimic natural ocean currents in the tank, which is beneficial for the health of fish and other aquatic organisms. They also help to evenly distribute nutrients and oxygen throughout the tank, promoting a healthy ecosystem.

Are there any downsides to using controllable powerheads?

One potential downside is the cost, as controllable powerheads can be more expensive than traditional powerheads. They also require regular maintenance to keep them functioning properly. Additionally, some fish may not be able to tolerate strong currents, so it's important to research which species are compatible before using a controllable powerhead.

What should I consider when choosing a controllable powerhead for my aquarium?

When choosing a controllable powerhead, factors to consider include the size and flow rate of your tank, the type and size of fish in your tank, and the features and capabilities of the powerhead, such as flow patterns and controllability. It's also important to read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for your specific aquarium needs.