Engineering I feel is my calling, not sure which direction 2 go?

In summary, the speaker is a college student who wants to make a difference in their career. They are considering engineering, specifically mechanical, civil, and software engineering, but are unsure which path to take. They ask for advice and are advised to take foundational engineering classes to get a feel for each specialization and see which one they enjoy the most. They are also reassured that they can make a difference in any engineering field.
GeekWilliams
Hey guys/gals,

I'm currently a college student at a local community college preparing to transfer to a university. "Making a difference" is what my answer is when either my school counselor or parents ask me what I want to do pertaining to a career. I honestly feel the best way to achieve this goal is through engineering. Mechanical, Civil, and Software engineering are all concentrations that seem very interesting. I'm just not sure which route to take. Personally I love technology (Computers and video games are my forte! lol) and learning more about the environment and finding ways to improve it is also an interesting topic. It gives me a headache trying to figure out what I want to do. Do guys have any advice on which way to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to take the foundational engineering classes while you're at community college. Then the answer will most likely present itself. While you're taking calculus and physics, take statics to get a feel for civil, dynamics to get a feel for mechanical, and intro to comp sci. (also take a circuits class if you can). Most likely you will enjoy one of these classes more than any other, and you won't be wasting anything because you need to take all these foundational classes to get a degree in any of the specializations you are interested in.

One other thing, you can make a real difference in the world in any of the engineering disciplines you mentioned, it only matters what direction you choose to go into when you're graduated.

1. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and requires different skills and knowledge.

2. How do I decide which type of engineering is right for me?

The best way to decide which type of engineering is right for you is to research each type and consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You can also talk to professionals in different engineering fields and participate in internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain hands-on experience.

3. What are the job prospects for engineers?

Engineering is a growing field with many job opportunities in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, telecommunications, and technology. The demand for engineers is expected to continue to increase as new technologies emerge and infrastructure needs to be developed and maintained.

4. What skills are important for engineers to have?

Some important skills for engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, and attention to detail. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

5. What education is required to become an engineer?

Most engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some may also pursue a master's or doctoral degree for advanced research or managerial positions. It is important to research and choose an accredited program that aligns with your interests and career goals.