1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Engineering I feel is my calling, not sure which direction 2 go?

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    Hey guys/gals,

I'm currently a college student at a local community college preparing to transfer to a university. "Making a difference" is what my answer is when either my school counselor or parents ask me what I want to do pertaining to a career. I honestly feel the best way to achieve this goal is through engineering. Mechanical, Civil, and Software engineering are all concentrations that seem very interesting. I'm just not sure which route to take. Personally I love technology (Computers and video games are my forte! lol) and learning more about the environment and finding ways to improve it is also an interesting topic. It gives me a headache trying to figure out what I want to do. Do guys have any advice on which way to go?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2
    My advice would be to take the foundational engineering classes while you're at community college. Then the answer will most likely present itself. While you're taking calculus and physics, take statics to get a feel for civil, dynamics to get a feel for mechanical, and intro to comp sci. (also take a circuits class if you can). Most likely you will enjoy one of these classes more than any other, and you wont be wasting anything because you need to take all these foundational classes to get a degree in any of the specializations you are interested in.

One other thing, you can make a real difference in the world in any of the engineering disciplines you mentioned, it only matters what direction you choose to go into when you're graduated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook