Engineering & Law: Advice Needed

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is currently studying Mechanical Engineering and wants to continue onto further studies. They are considering pursuing a Master's degree in Engineering, but have also been considering law school as a potential option. They are seeking advice on how to find out more about law school and if it would be a good fit for them. It is suggested that combining engineering and law can lead to a career as a patent lawyer. They are also advised to gain some work experience as a R&D engineer before going to law school.
makethings
Dear fellow physicsforumers,

I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering in my third year of study. I fully intend to finish my BASc and I want to continue onto further studies. At first I thought maybe continuing further into a Master's degree in something Engineering related. But I have second thoughts on that. Recently, my friends threw around the idea of law school. Some good points were brought up that made having a engineering and a law degree a good combination to have.

I am here because I want to ask how can I find out more about law school and if it is right for me. I have no role-models who have pursued this education path and was wondering if there was anyone here who has or know someone who has done both engineering and law and could give me some advice. What to do in law school, where to work afterwards, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
patent lawyer

Usually people who combine engineering and law work as patent lawyers. A friend of mind recommended working as a R/D engineer for a few years before law school. Don't tell who ever interviews you for the R/D job that you are going to leave and go to law school though...

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your dilemma. Pursuing a degree in engineering and then considering law school may seem like a big change in direction, but it can also be a great combination of skills and knowledge in the long run. As for finding out more about law school and if it is right for you, there are a few steps you can take.

First, I would recommend talking to your academic advisor or professors in the engineering department about your interest in law school. They may be able to provide you with resources or connect you with alumni who have pursued both degrees. Additionally, you can reach out to law schools directly to learn more about their programs and what they look for in applicants. Attending law school information sessions or open houses can also give you a better understanding of the curriculum and career opportunities in the field.

In terms of what to do in law school, it will be important to balance your engineering background with the new legal concepts you will be learning. This may require some extra effort and time, but it will be worth it in the end. As for where to work afterwards, having both an engineering and law degree can open up a wide range of career paths. You could potentially work in areas such as intellectual property law, patent law, or even as a consultant for engineering firms.

In conclusion, pursuing a degree in engineering and then law school may seem like a daunting task, but it can also be a rewarding and valuable combination of skills. Take the time to research and speak with professionals in both fields to determine if it is the right path for you. And remember, there is no one set path for success, so trust your instincts and follow your passion. Good luck!

1. How can engineering and law intersect?

Engineering and law can intersect in various ways, such as in the field of intellectual property where engineers may need to protect their inventions through patents, or in construction projects where engineers must ensure legal compliance with building codes and regulations.

2. What skills are important for someone pursuing a career in engineering and law?

Some important skills for someone pursuing a career in engineering and law include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and an understanding of both technical and legal concepts.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in both engineering and law to work in this field?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both engineering and law to work in this field. Many professionals in this field have either a background in engineering or law and gain knowledge and skills in the other field through training, experience, or collaboration with colleagues.

4. What types of job opportunities are available for someone with expertise in engineering and law?

Job opportunities for someone with expertise in engineering and law can include roles such as a patent attorney, legal consultant for engineering firms, compliance officer for construction projects, or expert witness in legal cases involving technical issues.

5. How can someone best prepare for a career in engineering and law?

To prepare for a career in engineering and law, it is important to gain a strong foundation in both fields through education and training. It can also be beneficial to seek internships or job opportunities that involve aspects of both engineering and law to gain practical experience and develop skills in both areas.