Engineering Major looking for a minor

In summary, the student is considering a minor in either math or psychology to complement their chemical engineering major. They are unsure which would be more beneficial to future employers. Some suggest that a minor in math would be useful for graduate school, while others believe a minor in a humanities subject would set them apart from other engineers. It is mentioned that psychology may not directly apply to engineering, but it could demonstrate valuable skills in communication and leadership. Ultimately, a well-rounded engineer with diverse skills is highly desirable to employers.
physstudent1
I'm a chemical engineering major in my freshman year, doing well in my classes. My schedule works out so that basically if I use all my electives towards either math or a humanities I only need 1 more class for a minor, I'm wondering what would be more beneficial to being an engineer a minor in math or psychology. I know that engineers are very dependent on math but it seems like psychology would make me more rounded. I have liked the two psychology classes I have taken so far. What do you guys think what would be more appealing to an employer?

Physics news on Phys.org
to be honest, no

physstudent1 said:
I'm a chemical engineering major in my freshman year, doing well in my classes. My schedule works out so that basically if I use all my electives towards either math or a humanities I only need 1 more class for a minor, I'm wondering what would be more beneficial to being an engineer a minor in math or psychology. I know that engineers are very dependent on math but it seems like psychology would make me more rounded. I have liked the two psychology classes I have taken so far. What do you guys think what would be more appealing to an employer?

If you are interested in grad school, do math. An employer will be more impressed by something in the humanities that will set you apart. Having said that, I'm not sure where psychology fits in. It's different, but it's not directly applicable to engineering, and it doesn't focus on writing or literature like English or philosophy do, for example.

Employers do absolutely love seeing well rounded engineers. All engineers have at least an ABET specified level of math and technical expertise, but few have leadership or writing/communication experience. A minor, or especially a double major, can go a long way in demonstrating that necessary business and social sense that ABET certification doesn't require. Leadership roles in clubs or involvement in sports help for similar reasons.

What is the purpose of a minor for an engineering major?

A minor for an engineering major can provide additional knowledge and skills in a related field, complementing the main engineering degree. It can also allow for a more well-rounded education and make the individual more competitive in the job market.

Can an engineering major choose any minor they want?

Yes, an engineering major can choose any minor that their university offers, as long as they meet the requirements and are able to fit it into their schedule.

What are some common minors for engineering majors?

Some common minors for engineering majors include mathematics, computer science, business, physics, and environmental studies. However, there are many other options available depending on the specific interests of the individual.

How does a minor affect an engineering major's course load?

A minor typically requires 15-18 credit hours, which can add to an engineering major's course load. However, many of the minor courses may also count towards the engineering degree requirements, so it may not significantly increase the total number of courses needed to graduate.

Can a minor help an engineering major specialize in a certain field?

Yes, a minor can help an engineering major specialize in a certain field by providing additional knowledge and skills in that area. This can make them more competitive for jobs and graduate programs in that field.