Engineering or Physics: Convincing Parents & Adviser | Trinity University

In summary, the speaker originally intended to become an engineer, but after one semester, they have realized they prefer physics and math. They have AP credits and are currently taking courses in both subjects, but their family and academic advisor are disappointed with their decision to switch majors. The chair of the physics department is supportive, but the speaker is concerned about the reputation of the physics program compared to the highly ranked engineering program at their university. They are seeking advice on how to convince their family and advisor that this change is right for them.
Doom of Doom
Ok, so I went to college with the original intent of wanting to become an engineer. The school I'm going to has a really great engineering program (Trinity University in San Antonio), and they gave me a lot of scholarship money, both of which are reasons of why I am here. However, after almost of one semester of it, I have decided that I like physics and math better.

I came in with a bunch of AP credits (I took two years of calculus and one year of non-calculus physics and another year of college-level calculus-based physics), so I am currently in Calc III and Modern Physics as well as Intro to Engineering Analysis and Design (and a few other courses). Both of my parents are engineers and my older brother is getting an engineering degree, so my parents have kind of expected me to become an engineer.

When I told them I wanted to be a double major in Math and Physics instead, they sounded disappointed on the phone. They said that when I register for next semester's classes next week, I should continue to try engineering courses rather than upper level physics courses. However, if I did, I wouldn't be able to take any physics courses. My academic adviser was also disappointed when I told him and told me to try it for at least one more semester (he happens to be the chair of the engineering department here).

However, when I spoke with the chair of the physics department, he seemed pretty excited, but told me to "do what I think is right for me." He also told me that I would have an exciting chance to do research with some one of the professors here next semester (weather or not I was a physics major, so whatever I choose, I could still do this research).

So I guess my dilemma is this. My family will be disappointed and so will the chair of the engineering department (but I guess i don't really care about him). Also, Trinity was recently rated the 5th best undergraduate engineering program in the US, but the physics program isn't as well known (they usually only graduate about 4 or 5 a physics majors a year).

How can I convince my parents (and my adviser) that what I want to do is right for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is my oppinion that you should do what you want, but perhaps try to see where your parents are coming from. Your parents obviously care about you and want you to succeed. Do they maybe figure that you will have a hard time finding a job with a physics/math major? I found that my parents believed this, and they are probably correct to some degree so you must take that into account.

I would suggest you think about your future and decide DEFINITELY what you want to do. Then meet with your parents and try to find out why they are worried about the switch. I think that they will understand, but if they don't... I PERSONALLY would do what I wanted anyway, after trying my absolute BEST to bring my parents on board with me.

PS your academic advisor probably isn't dumb, did he give any reasons that the switch may be bad? If not, find out!

I understand your dilemma and the importance of following your passion and pursuing what truly interests you. While engineering and physics are both highly respected fields, they require different skill sets and offer different career paths. It is important to remember that your parents and adviser may have certain expectations for you, but ultimately, it is your life and your decision.

Firstly, I would suggest sitting down with your parents and explaining to them why you have decided to switch your major to math and physics. Share your passion for these subjects and how they align with your strengths and interests. It may also be helpful to highlight the opportunities that a math and physics major can offer, such as research opportunities and the potential for graduate studies in a variety of fields.

Additionally, you can also reassure your parents that you have taken the time to carefully consider your decision and have discussed it with your academic advisor. Explain that you have weighed the pros and cons and believe that this is the best path for you. It may also be helpful to share any feedback or encouragement you have received from the chair of the physics department.

Furthermore, remind your parents that the most important thing is for you to be happy and fulfilled in your studies and future career. While Trinity University may have a highly ranked engineering program, it is important to choose a major that you are truly passionate about and will excel in. Ultimately, your success in your chosen field will depend on your dedication and hard work, rather than the ranking of the program.

In terms of convincing your advisor, it may be beneficial to schedule a meeting with them to discuss your decision and address any concerns they may have. Share your academic goals and how you plan to achieve them through a math and physics major. You can also discuss the research opportunities that are available to you and how they align with your interests.

In conclusion, it is important to communicate openly and honestly with your parents and advisor about your decision. Show them that you have carefully considered your options and are committed to pursuing your passion. Remember that your happiness and fulfillment should be the top priority in choosing your major and career path. Best of luck to you in your academic journey.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific principles and mathematics to design, build, and analyze structures, machines, and systems to solve real-world problems. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. While engineering uses principles from physics, it focuses more on practical applications and problem-solving.

2. Why should I choose to study engineering or physics?

Both engineering and physics offer a strong foundation in math and science, which are essential skills for a wide range of careers. These fields also provide opportunities to work on cutting-edge research and technologies that can make a real impact on the world. Additionally, studying engineering or physics can lead to a diverse range of career paths and can open up opportunities for further education.

3. Won't studying engineering or physics be too difficult for me?

While engineering and physics can be challenging, they are also incredibly rewarding fields of study. With a strong work ethic and dedication to learning, anyone can succeed in these fields. Additionally, many universities offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and academic counseling to support students and help them overcome any difficulties they may encounter.

4. Will studying engineering or physics limit my career options?

Studying engineering or physics does not limit your career options. In fact, these fields offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as technology, healthcare, energy, and aerospace. The skills and knowledge gained from studying engineering or physics are highly transferable and can be applied to many different career paths.

5. How can I convince my parents and adviser that studying engineering or physics is the right choice for me?

One way to convince your parents and adviser is to share your passion and interest in these fields. Explain to them the potential career opportunities and the impact you can make by studying engineering or physics. You can also research and provide information on the success and job prospects of graduates in these fields. Additionally, involving them in the decision-making process and seeking their support can also help convince them of your choice.