Help Santiago Decide: Engineering or Physics?

In summary: But that's just me.In summary, Santiago thinks that if you are a "mech kind of guy" then you should stick with what you know. If you are in love with physics, then you should consider a career in physics. However, if you are considering the US as a future place of residence and study, then the following thread will be relevant to your interests.
Rackhir
Hello everyone
Here's the thing, I'm not sure about my career anymore. I'm in third year of my mechanical engineering degree (5 years in argentina), but I'm having serious doubts if I'm more attracted to physics, mainly investigation.
My original plan was doing 3 years in my current university, and finishing my undergraduate in Balseiro Institute (the first years are a requisite for acceptance). My choices there are Mechanical engineering, Nuclear engineering, or physics. Now I'm not even sure of what to apply.. I was always a mech kind of guy, so it was quite simply i guess. But in the alst 3 years i completely fall in love with physics. So what are my possibilities? going for physics? or maybe nuclear engineering? ME with a post graduate in physics has any sense? what are the work and invistigation possibilities for that? (I might not want to stay here, so don't worry about me living in argentina).
Any input is welcome.
Santiago

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, more than "if I'm qualified for a physics degree" is "doubting about it over engineering"

Rackhir said:
Hello everyone
Here's the thing, I'm not sure about my career anymore. I'm in third year of my mechanical engineering degree (5 years in argentina), but I'm having serious doubts if I'm more attracted to physics, mainly investigation.
My original plan was doing 3 years in my current university, and finishing my undergraduate in Balseiro Institute (the first years are a requisite for acceptance). My choices there are Mechanical engineering, Nuclear engineering, or physics. Now I'm not even sure of what to apply.. I was always a mech kind of guy, so it was quite simply i guess. But in the alst 3 years i completely fall in love with physics. So what are my possibilities? going for physics? or maybe nuclear engineering? ME with a post graduate in physics has any sense? what are the work and invistigation possibilities for that? (I might not want to stay here, so don't worry about me living in argentina).
Any input is welcome.
Santiago

IMO, MEs will always have good job prospects. If you're "a mech kind of guy", then I'd pass on the change. That "love with physics" may jump up and bite you in the butt as classes really advance and the difficulty peaks. I would stick with what you have a knack for doing.

ThinkToday said:
IMO, MEs will always have good job prospects. If you're "a mech kind of guy", then I'd pass on the change. That "love with physics" may jump up and bite you in the butt as classes really advance and the difficulty peaks. I would stick with what you have a knack for doing.

Well, difficulty is not what I'm worried about, i always thinked that the point is giving the very best and not being afraid of challenges

Bieng honest, the main thing i was considering today is, what are the options of a ME with a physics degree? and a NE with a physics degree?

If I am in your shoes, I would consider what would I do when I graduate with a physics degree versus a ME degree. Have you ever wonder what are the career prospects to be like for a physics major vs a ME major? How about salary?

If you are interested in academia instead, then what would you want to achieve? A masters? A phD?

Another thing is, WHAT do you like in physics that mechanical engineering does not offer?

These are all very personal questions and both are wonderful and challenging degrees. However please consider that in terms of job prospects though, ME might have a slight upperhand generally, but if you are successful you will succeed in both.

Those are things i question myself. To be straight, I'm mainly interested in investigation. So in ME that would be design, for exapmple, vs. the whole spectra of possibilities that a physics major offer. And my goal is to achieve at least a masters (although a phD is what i want), being in physics or engineering.
Salary speaking, I'm a littel blind about the physics degree one. I suppose is less than a ME one, but that's just my common sense (one of the reasons i posted this question, i guess)
So, as you see, my concern is that i want to investigate, latest developmentes or technologies, maybe a tad more on the theoretical side.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, systems, and processes. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions in the natural world. While engineering uses principles from physics, it focuses more on practical applications and problem-solving.

2. Which field has better job prospects: engineering or physics?

Both engineering and physics have excellent job prospects, but it ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. Engineers are in high demand in industries such as technology, transportation, and construction, while physicists often find work in research and development, academia, and government agencies. It's important to consider your career goals and what type of work you enjoy before making a decision.

3. Can I pursue both engineering and physics?

While it is possible to study both engineering and physics, it may be challenging to excel in both fields simultaneously. Both require a significant time commitment and a strong understanding of complex concepts. It may be more beneficial to focus on one field and then incorporate aspects of the other into your work.

4. Which field offers a higher salary?

The salary for engineers and physicists can vary greatly depending on factors such as industry, location, and experience. Generally, engineers tend to have higher starting salaries, but physicists have the potential to earn higher salaries in the long run, especially if they pursue advanced degrees and research positions.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in engineering and physics?

Both engineering and physics require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and the ability to think critically and creatively. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important in engineering, while attention to detail and the ability to think abstractly are crucial in physics.