Engineering Physics vs. Honors Physics

In summary, the engineering physics program at the university is similar to the one mentioned, but the honors physics program offers more opportunities for a successful career.

Would you recommend engineering physics or honors physics?

• Do Engineering Physics

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Do Honors Physics

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
Voraldo
Hi,I am trying to decide between the engineering physics program and the honors physics program at my university. The engineering physics program at my university is fairly similar to this one: http://www.engphys.ubc.ca/courses.html . The honors physics program is fairly standard. My ultimate goal is to become an experimental physicist in a yet to be determined field. I am indifferent to working in industry or academia.

Engineering physics requires ~45 more credits to graduate but gives me enough electrical engineering knowledge to get a P.Eng in electrical engineering if I so choose.

The honours physics program includes an honours thesis in the final year which could lead to a publication which would be beneficial for grad school.

What do all of you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help out. :)

It is all about if you want to spend another year to get the extra options given by eng phys? It contains everything you could expect from a physics bachelor so it won't hold you back in that department.

I may be a bit partial, as I'm taking a 5 years engineering physics program in Sweden, including both a 3 years bachelor and a 2 years masters degree. We definitely get a fair bit of both subjects in the first three years - and I'm going to use the masters to go more into theoretical physics, including some PhD courses, so the level is not a problem either.

The UBC courses do seem similar (in names) to ones we have. I'd say that perhaps there is an advantage to knowing some engineering if you want to construct experimental setups, but then again it's hardly impossible for a physicist to learn circuit analysis when the time comes. However, this way you get a little broader engineering knowledge, which would also help you in industry jobs if you don't end up as an experimentalist.

To me it seems that the UBC Engineering Physics course is really meant to prepare you more of an engineer than a physicst.

In Europe, Engineering Physics is the revised name for "Technical Physics".
In Technical Physics you study more or less the same physics courses as the other majors but you have to do some applied science lectures (e.g. mechanical engineering).There is one issue here, you can be an experimentalist either way, but if you want to be an experimental physicist I think the Physics honors degree would be more suitable.

You never know, say you don't like the whole applied thing later and found your calling in theoretical physics.

I talked to a few physicsts who started doing research in fields that are new them (experimental), they just learned the very basic during the bachelor, and for their experiments had to learn new things naturally.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I've already made my decision now so please stop replying to this thread.

1. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Honors Physics?

Engineering Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles to engineering problems and technologies. Honors Physics, on the other hand, is a more advanced and rigorous version of the traditional high school or college physics course. It covers a wider range of topics and delves deeper into the concepts and theories of physics.

2. Which one is more suitable for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering?

Engineering Physics would be the more suitable option for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering. It provides a strong foundation in both physics and engineering principles, preparing students for the technical aspects of engineering jobs.

3. Is one course more challenging than the other?

Both Engineering Physics and Honors Physics are challenging courses, but in different ways. Engineering Physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with applying physics concepts to real-world problems, while Honors Physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with the complex mathematical and theoretical aspects of physics.

4. Do both courses cover the same topics?

Both courses cover the same fundamental topics in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. However, Engineering Physics may also cover additional topics that are specific to engineering, such as materials science and engineering design.

5. Which course would be more beneficial for students planning to pursue a physics degree?

It would depend on the student's interests and career goals. If a student is interested in pursuing a career in engineering, then Engineering Physics would be more beneficial. However, if a student is interested in pure physics research or teaching, then Honors Physics would be a better option as it provides a deeper understanding of the theoretical and mathematical aspects of physics.