Do First-Year Engineering Courses Vary Globally?

In summary, most universities teach calculus, linear algebra, physics I, II, III, and some may also include quantum mechanics and/or string theory. The coursework for a first year in engineering may include topics such as beta and gamma functions, Laplace transformations, and differential equations.
Raghav Gupta
What are the first year university topics in engineering?
Are they common for all branches in all over world?
When does the beta, gamma functions,Laplace transformations , quantum mechanics, string theory etc. pour in?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong, but most engineers don't take courses in quantum mechanics or string theory. Most physicists, even, do not take classes in string theory, and definitely not until graduate school.

samnorris93 said:
I could be wrong, but most engineers don't take courses in quantum mechanics or string theory. Most physicists, even, do not take classes in string theory, and definitely not until graduate school.
Okay so what about beta and gamma functions and Laplace transformations?
Also what are the first year topics?
Can you give a link or something?

Raghav Gupta said:
Okay so what about beta and gamma functions and Laplace transformations?
Also what are the first year topics?
Can you give a link or something?

Beta and gamma functions and Laplace transformations, in my experience, aren't things that are explicitly "taught". You'll probably see them covered briefly in your calculus class, and from then on you just need to know how to apply it, and how to look it up if you forget.

For a first year in engineering, typically you will be taking whatever maths (calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations) you haven't yet covered, and physics I, II, and III. Here's a link from UIUC's civil engineering 4-year plan.

http://provost.illinois.edu/programsofstudy/2008/fall/programs/undergrad/engin/civil.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Curriculum details definitely vary from one country to another, and in some countries, even from one university to another. Most universities (in the US at least) post information about their curriculum (required courses, recommended sequences) on their web sites, as in e.g. the example that samnorris posted.

Isn't in U.S The first year syllabus same for all branches whether it would be civil engineering , computer science engineering or mechanical engineering, chemical engineering etc. ?
The link provided is showing syllabus for Civil engineering.

This is what my ME curriculum looks like:

ME.JPG

I first saw the Laplace transform in a differential equations course. Then, we also have used it in circuit analysis courses (I'm in electrical engineering). I have never seen the beta or gamma function in a course. Quantum mechanics is only used in an engineering aspect, and that's only if you get a graduate degree in certain engineering fields (probably mostly in electrical).

You will never have to learn string theory as an engineer in your lifetime.

Exactly when you will get into these more advanced mathematics is difficult to say. It strongly depends on what level of math you start as a freshman. If you start with calculus 1, then you may not expect to see these topics until the end of your second year or even into your third year. It also depends on the branch of engineering. I expect most civil engineers are not exposed to these topics in undergrad (maybe Laplace transforms in differential equations), while electrical engineers are quite familiar with Laplace/Fourier transforms.

And as others have mentioned, you can pretty much forget about string theory.

Raghav Gupta said:
What are the first year university topics in engineering?
Are they common for all branches in all over world?
When does the beta, gamma functions,Laplace transformations , quantum mechanics, string theory etc. pour in?
About the only time you'll need to know a beta function or a gamma function is probably if you take a statistics course during the engineering undergrad curriculum.

Laplace transforms are almost entirely confined to solving ordinary differential equations, some of which may also be used in electrical or electronics courses.

About the only time you'll need to know any QM or string theory is if you decide to transfer from engineering to physics, or you get accepted at Star Fleet Academy. :woot: :wink: :smile:

Thanks people but aren't the freshman year same for all engineering?

Raghav Gupta said:
Thanks people but aren't the freshman year same for all engineering?
Not necessarily. The courses will vary by institution. What courses were offered five or ten years ago might not be the same as the ones offered last year or which will be offered next year.

Colleges and universities post the curricula for the various engineering programs which they offer. You can investigate which schools offer what courses by doing a little research.

Likes Raghav Gupta

1. What is the history of engineering?

The history of engineering dates back to ancient civilizations such as Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Greece, where engineering principles were used to build impressive structures and develop new technologies. In the modern era, engineering has evolved and expanded to include various disciplines such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering.

2. How has engineering changed over the years?

Engineering has undergone significant changes over the years, mainly due to advancements in technology and the growing demand for innovative solutions. In the past, engineering was primarily focused on building structures and machines, but now it encompasses a wide range of fields, including computer engineering, environmental engineering, and biotechnology.

3. What are some notable engineering achievements in recent years?

In recent years, engineering has led to groundbreaking achievements such as the development of renewable energy sources, the creation of self-driving cars, and the use of 3D printing in various industries. Other notable achievements include the construction of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, and the development of space exploration technologies.

4. How do engineering advancements impact society?

Engineering advancements have a significant impact on society as they improve our quality of life and drive economic growth. For example, the development of new medical technologies has led to improved healthcare and increased life expectancy. Additionally, engineering has played a crucial role in creating sustainable solutions to address global challenges such as climate change.

5. What are some current challenges faced by engineers?

Engineers face various challenges in their work, including finding sustainable solutions to environmental issues, meeting the growing demand for energy, and developing technologies to support an aging population. Additionally, with the rapid pace of technological advancements, engineers must continuously update their skills and knowledge to stay relevant in their fields.