Learn English Orology: Resources & Connections

• Thread starter Kostas Tzim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: Eg one can say that the eigenvalues of an operator are real, the conjugate...In summary, this conversation is about the different aspects of terminology.
Kostas Tzim
Hey folks, I am a greek high student, and I want to write and share my ideas about science the only problem is that i don't know the orology to use in order to explain myself..Do any of you know a site ( i don't trust google translate) that i can do this job...? thanks in advance i would also like to meet people with same interests as me...dont hesitate to contact with me it would be a pleasure :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fellow greek. :)
This is difficult to explain. The orology is mainly "english", so knowing the language can help (knowing greek can also help)... Further try reading physics in english literature to help you clarify how to use the words in the appropriate way (it helped me)...
Most of the times, people are going to define what they mean with their orologies... and thus you will easily learn the translation of greek to english...
google translator is only good for the very basic stuff, and it won't help for scientific words...

yeah that's what i thought too...any suggestions for books? A friend of mine sent me the book via google drive: "University Physics with modern physics 13th edition" its a huge books and kind of hard to study through a monitor... ;/

Thanks for you response i appreciate it :)

It depends on what you want to study... studying university physics while you are still a high school student is (itself) challenging - because most books are asking for the reader to know the mathematics. There are many books which can be a little helpful, such as Young's as your friend suggested.

Griffiths (for electrodynamics or for elementary particles) can also be fun, because he likes speaking a lot (although in order to understand it you need to know advanced mathematics).

But wiki itself, for a begginer can help...

Also, check your inbox, since the site I wanted to refer to is in greek I can't post it here...

Also try Feynman's lectures for classical mechanics :D
he is nice in general and also talks a lot...

good!

The term "English orology" is Greek to me.

zoobyshoe said:
The term "English orology" is Greek to me.
apart from "english" yes :D

ChrisVer said:
apart from "english" yes :D
"Orology" seem to be the study of mountains. At least, that's the only definition I could find. What do you guys mean by it?

Not really... Orology is the study of terms...
In modern greek there is no distinction in the way of writing between the oros for "mountain" and oros for "term", except for the 1st being neutral while the 2nd being masculine.
In older greek (and ancient) they were taking different stresses, since there were 5 stresses in contrast to modern greek [has only 1]...

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
Not really... Orology is the study of terms...
In modern greek there is no distinction in the way of writing between the oros for "mountain" and oros for "term", except for the 1st being neutral while the 2nd being masculine.
In older greek (and ancient) they were taking different stresses...
Hmm. "Orology" as 'the study of terms," doesn't seem to have passed over into English, that I can find. In English the only definition I can find is 'the study of mountains.' :

https://www.wordnik.com/words/orology

yes, probably the english translation for the greek "orologia" (study of terms) is "terminology"...so I guess that's why the thread got this name... we are used, sometimes, when seeing words like these in greek (ending in -logia ) to pass them into english immediately...

for real, I didn't even know there was a science studying the mountains... haha

ChrisVer said:
I guess it 'struck you as Chinese', which, according to the Wikipedia, is how Greeks say, "It was Greek to me.":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_to_me

ChrisVer said:
yes, probably the english translation for the greek "orologia" (study of terms) is "terminology"...so I guess that's why the thread got this name... we are used, sometimes, when seeing words like these in greek (ending in -logia ) to pass them into english immediately...

Maybe the word "etymology" is closer to what you're looking for:

Etymology is the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology

no that's another greek word ;)

etymology would be more like to take a word, let's say philosophy and break it into its roots to find what the word is referring to... or generally study the origins of the words. It's only partially connected to terminology, that studies the terms (used in some science).
So in fact, when you refer to physics terminology you are talking about words as "inertia", "forces" etc and what they represent /their definitions /their meaning, so you can know how to use them. Am I wrong?

Eg one can say that the eigenvalues of an operator are real, the conjugate of the operator is equal to the operator etc etc... all this is encoded into the word "Hermitian" in most of quantum mechanics textbooks...

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
no that's another greek word ;)

etymology would be more like to take a word, let's say philosophy and break it into its roots to find what the word is referring to... or generally study the origins of the words. It's only partially connected to terminology, that studies the terms (used in some science).
So in fact, when you refer to physics terminology you are talking about words as "inertia", "forces" etc and what they represent /their definitions /their meaning, so you can know how to use them. Am I wrong?

Eg one can say that the eigenvalues of an operator are real, the conjugate of the operator is equal to the operator etc etc... all this is encoded into the word "Hermitian" in most of quantum mechanics textbooks...
I actually think the only word you need is, "terminology." Kostas need only have said:

"...I want to write and share my ideas about science the only problem is that i don't know the English terminology to use..."

Yeah, i really didnt know that orology didnt pass to your language...it seems strange...terminology is what i mean then ;)

At least some of us (including me) have gained something from this confusion: we now know that there is an English word "orology" and what it means! :cool:

What I don't understand is Zoob's initial confusion. Even though I've never encountered the term, I knew right away that Kostas meant "verbiage" or similar simply because "ora" at the beginning of a word indicates "mouth". "Oro" isn't much different, and given that he's trying to use a foreign language based largely upon his own...
Unfortunately, I can be of no use toward the problem at hand.

The word immediately makes me think of urology.

Medicol said:
The word immediately makes me think of urology.
Sometimes I worry about you...

Well, what else do you expect from a guy who wears a stethoscope? :p

Likes ChrisVer and Medicol
jtbell said:
Well, what else do you expect from a guy who wears a stethoscope? :p

Only the stethoscope? what about the Medicol ?

I always assumed that he was a proctologist. Maybe he got lost...? :oops:

1. What is Learn English Orology?

Learn English Orology is a specialized field that focuses on the study of English language and its various aspects, including grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and communication skills.

2. What are the resources available for learning English Orology?

There are various resources available for learning English Orology, such as textbooks, online courses, language exchange programs, language learning apps, and study groups. These resources can help individuals improve their English language skills and gain a better understanding of Orology.

3. How can I improve my English Orology skills?

To improve your English Orology skills, you can practice regularly by reading, writing, listening, and speaking in English. You can also seek guidance from a language tutor or join a language learning community to receive personalized feedback and support.

4. What are the benefits of learning English Orology?

Learning English Orology can provide numerous benefits, including improved communication skills, better job opportunities, enhanced critical thinking abilities, and increased cultural understanding and awareness.

5. How can I connect with others who are interested in English Orology?

You can connect with others who are interested in English Orology through various online platforms, such as language learning forums, social media groups, and language exchange programs. You can also attend language events or join a study group to meet and interact with like-minded individuals.