Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

English orology

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    Hey folks, im a greek high student, and I want to write and share my ideas about science the only problem is that i dont know the orology to use in order to explain myself..Do any of you know a site ( i dont trust google translate) that i can do this job...? thanks in advance i would also like to meet people with same interests as me...dont hesitate to contact with me it would be a pleasure :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi fellow greek. :)
    This is difficult to explain. The orology is mainly "english", so knowing the language can help (knowing greek can also help)... Further try reading physics in english literature to help you clarify how to use the words in the appropriate way (it helped me)....
    Most of the times, people are going to define what they mean with their orologies... and thus you will easily learn the translation of greek to english...
    google translator is only good for the very basic stuff, and it won't help for scientific words...

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    yeah thats what i thought too...any suggestions for books? A friend of mine sent me the book via google drive: "University Physics with modern physics 13th edition" its a huge books and kind of hard to study through a monitor... ;/

Thanks for you response i appreciate it :)

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

It depends on what you want to study... studying university physics while you are still a high school student is (itself) challenging - because most books are asking for the reader to know the mathematics. There are many books which can be a little helpful, such as Young's as your friend suggested.

Griffiths (for electrodynamics or for elementary particles) can also be fun, because he likes speaking a lot (although in order to understand it you need to know advanced mathematics).

But wiki itself, for a begginer can help...

Also, check your inbox, since the site I wanted to refer to is in greek I can't post it here...

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5

7. Nov 17, 2014 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Also try Feynman's lectures for classical mechanics :D
    he is nice in general and also talks a lot...

8. Nov 17, 2014 #7
  9. Nov 17, 2014 #8
    The term "English orology" is Greek to me.

10. Nov 17, 2014 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

apart from "english" yes :D

11. Nov 17, 2014 #10
    "Orology" seem to be the study of mountains. At least, that's the only definition I could find. What do you guys mean by it?

12. Nov 17, 2014 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Not really... Orology is the study of terms...
    In modern greek there is no distinction in the way of writing between the oros for "mountain" and oros for "term", except for the 1st being neutral while the 2nd being masculine.
    In older greek (and ancient) they were taking different stresses, since there were 5 stresses in contrast to modern greek [has only 1]...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. Nov 17, 2014 #12
    Hmm. "Orology" as 'the study of terms," doesn't seem to have passed over into English, that I can find. In English the only definition I can find is 'the study of mountains.' :

https://www.wordnik.com/words/orology

14. Nov 17, 2014 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

yes, probably the english translation for the greek "orologia" (study of terms) is "terminology"...so I guess that's why the thread got this name... we are used, sometimes, when seeing words like these in greek (ending in -logia ) to pass them into english immediately...

for real, I didn't even know there was a science studying the mountains... haha

15. Nov 17, 2014 #14
    I guess it 'struck you as Chinese', which, according to the Wikipedia, is how Greeks say, "It was Greek to me.":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_to_me

16. Nov 17, 2014 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe the word "etymology" is closer to what you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology

17. Nov 17, 2014 #16

ChrisVer

Gold Member

no that's another greek word ;)

etymology would be more like to take a word, let's say philosophy and break it into its roots to find what the word is referring to... or generally study the origins of the words. It's only partially connected to terminology, that studies the terms (used in some science).
    So in fact, when you refer to physics terminology you are talking about words as "inertia", "forces" etc and what they represent /their definitions /their meaning, so you can know how to use them. Am I wrong?

Eg one can say that the eigenvalues of an operator are real, the conjugate of the operator is equal to the operator etc etc... all this is encoded into the word "Hermitian" in most of quantum mechanics textbooks...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  18. Nov 18, 2014 #17
    I actually think the only word you need is, "terminology." Kostas need only have said:

"...I want to write and share my ideas about science the only problem is that i dont know the English terminology to use..."

19. Nov 18, 2014 #18
    Yeah, i really didnt know that orology didnt pass to your language...it seems strange...terminology is what i mean then ;)

20. Nov 18, 2014 #19

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At least some of us (including me) have gained something from this confusion: we now know that there is an English word "orology" and what it means! :cool:

21. Nov 18, 2014 #20

Danger

Gold Member

What I don't understand is Zoob's initial confusion. Even though I've never encountered the term, I knew right away that Kostas meant "verbiage" or similar simply because "ora" at the beginning of a word indicates "mouth". "Oro" isn't much different, and given that he's trying to use a foreign language based largely upon his own...
    Unfortunately, I can be of no use toward the problem at hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook