Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Enhancing' light

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    I read the following article with interest:
    http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0810/0810.0592.pdf
    What is not apparent (to a layman such as myself) is the application for such an antenna. I was quite excited to think that if light can be gleaned by an antenna, and indeed be 'magnified' by virtue of using a Yagi-Uda type with several dB gain, then surely there is likely to be a potential energy saving application? I can imagine a sheet of metal film etched with thousands or millions of antennae and 'feeding' a solar panel or suchlike. Is this just pie in the sky?
    David

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I quickly scanned the article- it appears to be related to near-field applications. The important concept to keep in mind is that the main result (here) is simply the ability to detect subwavelength holes in a screen.

I'm not sure why they refer to a cavity as an antenna- I suppose they have a lot of the same characteristics (resonant behavior, for example), but this is all near-field stuff, there's no propagating modes being emitted. Any detector would have to be placed in the near-field region to pick up the transmitted radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?