1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Enhancing' light

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    I read the following article with interest:
    http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0810/0810.0592.pdf
    What is not apparent (to a layman such as myself) is the application for such an antenna. I was quite excited to think that if light can be gleaned by an antenna, and indeed be 'magnified' by virtue of using a Yagi-Uda type with several dB gain, then surely there is likely to be a potential energy saving application? I can imagine a sheet of metal film etched with thousands or millions of antennae and 'feeding' a solar panel or suchlike. Is this just pie in the sky?
    David

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I quickly scanned the article- it appears to be related to near-field applications. The important concept to keep in mind is that the main result (here) is simply the ability to detect subwavelength holes in a screen.

I'm not sure why they refer to a cavity as an antenna- I suppose they have a lot of the same characteristics (resonant behavior, for example), but this is all near-field stuff, there's no propagating modes being emitted. Any detector would have to be placed in the near-field region to pick up the transmitted radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?