Enjoyment vs fascination: which is more important?

• Thread starter diligence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, the conversation is about trying to decide whether to dedicate studies to math or physics. There is a discussion about the importance of enjoying what you study versus being fascinated by it. Some suggest pursuing both subjects and broadening studies. It is mentioned that for graduate school, one will eventually have to choose a specific subject. The conversation also touches on personal preferences and the idea of using one subject as an "excuse" for studying another.
diligence
I'm trying to decide whether i should dedicate my studies to math or to physics. I find that physics is utterly fascinating and tends to excite me more than math. But when I'm studying, i actually enjoy doing mathematics more than doing physics. So I've narrowed my decision down to the question of whether it's more important to enjoy what you study, or if it's more important to be excited/fascinated by what you study.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
it's most important to have a job, so you can eat. Then you can study all sorts of things.

Which is more important to you :)

enjoyment. Fascination seems more likely to come and go. I have known two math and physics double majors already who say they feel more comfortable with math.

Just imagine being fascinated with basketball and not enjoy playing it (or training for it).

But I guess this isn't a very good analogy since you did not say that you don't enjoy physics.

Last edited:
llynne said:
it's most important to have a job, so you can eat. Then you can study all sorts of things.

I heard starvation makes the most out of people. (look at Abel, most of his life he was pennyless, almost).

Pengwuino said:
Which is more important to you :)

pretty sure i established the fact that I'm not sure yet ;)

edit: well, maybe not...but cmon, isn't it obvious :)

Headacheguy said:
Just imagine being fascinated with basketball and not enjoy playing it (or training for it).

But I guess this isn't a very good analogy since you did not say that you don't enjoy physics.

after a month of modern physics lab I'm beginning to form the opinion that experimental physics is damn tough to enjoy!

diligence said:
after a month of modern physics lab I'm beginning to form the opinion that experimental physics is damn tough to enjoy!

I think for a lot of people experimental physics is an acquired taste!

Masochism is the thing that keeps me going.:cry:

Well, I'd say go for what you enjoy. Fascination alone is not good enough, in my opinion...

But, just in case, may I ask you what it is you enjoy about math? And why do you find physics fascinating. These questions help us to form a picture of who you are, and whether your expectancies are realistic.

And don't trust on the judgement of other. If you met people who said that math was more interesting than physics, then this opinion shouldn't matter to you. You may very well be different than these persons...

I'm having the same dilemma... I'm majoring in physics but lately I've reached a point where I've begun enjoying mathematics more than ever before and I'm unsure what I should do. For one thing, if I major in mathematics instead of physics I can probably graduate a semester or two early because I took a bunch of math classes but just recently began taking my physics courses this semester.

Why do you have to choose anyway? Try to do as much as both as you can I say. I'm studying biochemistry, math and physics (I'm only majoring in biochemistry but I'm studying as much of the other two as I can. If I plan right I can get a major in one and a minor in the other) There is so much overlap between the two disciplines anyway that to choose between them I think is like choosing which side of the mouth to use to chew. Just do as much as both as you can. Maybe later you will have to choose one to stick with more but for now I suggest to broaden your studies.

Delong said:
Why do you have to choose anyway?
For grad school where you have to stick with one department.

What is your mind-set? Can you settle down with a lover that you have a good relationship with, or do you want to explore short-term flings? Be honest.

That's true that you have to eventually settle on one thing for Graduate School. What I'm finding out in college is that the farther along in school I get the more specific I have to be about what I want to study. But it was my understanding that dilligence is still in early years of College right?

Some people say they do physics as an "excuse" for doing maths. You might find this kind of insight helpful.

Related to Enjoyment vs fascination: which is more important?

What is the difference between enjoyment and fascination?

Enjoyment refers to the feeling of pleasure or satisfaction that comes from engaging in an activity or experiencing something. Fascination, on the other hand, is a strong interest or attraction towards something.

Can an activity be both enjoyable and fascinating?

Yes, it is possible for an activity to be both enjoyable and fascinating. For example, a person may find playing a musical instrument both enjoyable and fascinating as they experience the pleasure of creating music while also being intrigued by the technical aspects of playing the instrument.

Which is more important, enjoyment or fascination?

This is a subjective question and the answer may vary from person to person. Some may prioritize enjoyment as they believe it brings more immediate satisfaction, while others may value fascination as it can lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of the world.

Can someone be fascinated by something without enjoying it?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be fascinated by something without necessarily enjoying it. For example, a person may be fascinated by the complexities of quantum physics, but not necessarily find it enjoyable to study or engage with.

Is it necessary to choose between enjoyment and fascination?

No, it is not necessary to choose between enjoyment and fascination. Both can coexist and contribute to a fulfilling and well-rounded life. It is important to find a balance between the two and engage in activities that bring both enjoyment and fascination.