From Undergraduate Computer Science to Graduate Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from a non-graduate field to a graduate physics program. The main suggestion is to do well on the physics GRE, but the speaker is concerned about not having enough time to prepare for the exam. They ask if there are any graduate programs that offer a year of undergraduate preparation. The speaker also shares their academic background and expresses their passion for physics. The group advises them to consider taking additional senior undergraduate courses and to practice for the GRE.
JtSvegs
Hey everyone,

I read the pinned topic in this forum as well as a few other topics regarding whether transitioning from a non-graduate field to a graduate physics program is remotely possible. Most threads suggested that doing well on the physics GRE is necessary to be accepted/prepared (definitely a reasonable suggestion). Unfortunately, however, I think I won't have enough time to sufficiently prepare for the exam provided that I'll be a senior starting next semester (I also know that I should've thought about this earlier).

That said, are there are any graduate physics programs that will provide a year of undergraduate preparation? If needed, a very brief outline of my academic career is as follows:
  • Dual major in computer science and philosophy (don't make fun of me)
  • Mathematics Minor
  • Full scholarship provided by the NSF
  • 4.0 GPA
  • 2x Software development full-time internships at a Fortune 100 company
  • Part-time employment at a Fortune 100 company for two semesters
  • Professor's assistant for a game development course
  • Research in both Computer Science and Philosophy (including two publications in the former and one in the latter)
  • A in Thermodynamics, Electricity, Magnetism, and Optics (PHYS 212)
  • A in Kinetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, and Relativity (PHYS 221)

I absolutely love physics--I invest most of my free time (of which I don't have a lot) in studying physics and mathematics. I mostly majored in computer science because I received funding (I do enjoy the field, but physics is definitely my passion). The offer was very enticing because I come from a relatively poor family.

That said, I'd love feedback and advice. I'm assuming I'll be told to merely study for the physics GRE and see what happens, but I'm wondering if anyone else has some other suggestions.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The main point of the GRE is to serve as a kind of equalizer between different schools to account for inflated/deflated marks. It alone is not a comprehensive gatekeeper for graduate school admission. So to be honest I think you'll have a hard time getting accepted into graduate school for physics with only two physics courses that weren't even at the senior level.

If you're really serious, you may want to consider taking an extra year or two to take some senior undergraduate courses.

Take a look at the practice GRE's. Do you think the questions are doable for you (given that you didn't yet study for it)? Or do they look completely foreign?

1. What skills from undergraduate computer science are applicable to graduate physics?

Computer science skills such as programming, data analysis, and problem-solving are highly applicable to graduate physics. These skills can be used in areas such as computational physics, data analysis in experimental physics, and developing software for simulations and modeling.

2. What are some common career paths for those with a background in both computer science and physics?

Some common career paths for individuals with a background in both computer science and physics include data science, software development for scientific applications, research in computational physics or data analysis, and teaching at the university level.

3. Can I switch from a computer science undergraduate program to a graduate program in physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a computer science undergraduate program to a graduate program in physics. However, it may require taking additional undergraduate courses in physics to meet the prerequisites for the graduate program.

4. Will my computer science background give me an advantage in a graduate physics program?

Having a background in computer science can give you an advantage in a graduate physics program. Your programming and data analysis skills may be useful in research projects, and your problem-solving abilities may help you excel in coursework.

5. How can I combine my interests in computer science and physics in my graduate studies?

There are various ways to combine computer science and physics in graduate studies. You can focus on a specific area of research that combines both fields, such as quantum computing or computational astrophysics. You can also take electives in both computer science and physics to broaden your knowledge and skills in both areas.