Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entanglement Question

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1
    I was doing some thinking about entanglement and other stuff and a weird thought came up. Since the whole universe, or at least the visible universe, was at one time contained in a very small and homogenous "soup" wouldn't it follow that all the resultant particles that came later would have to be entangled? And if they were what would stop them from still being so? Thanks and use as much metaphorical language and imagery as you want in your answers. Thanks again...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3
    Well, I thought of that but the particles would only be interacting with particles they were already entangled with, wouldn't they? So yeah, I'll check the links. Thanks.

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

An interaction between entangled particles may break the entanglement between them.
    Mostly it won't matter ... we can demonstrate that two particular particles in the laboratory are not entangled in a particular way we are interested in: this is why we need to deliberately prepare entangled particles for our experiments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook