Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 4,407
- 711
I'm not sure if humor was what they were going for, but it did seem humorous to me how directly they called out Zeilinger.DrChinese said:I'm not criticizing Daumer et al - it's a strong group of scientists - but there is a bit of humor to be found in the paper. Obviously, they push the Bohmian "deterministic" perspective. Exactly what I'm interested in, especially vis a vis the Zeilinger experiments.
This sentence probably needs you to view it through the lens of a Bohmian (or, interestingly, perhaps a MWI person). What they mean with "establish" here is more like "proved beyond a reasonable doubt". I.e. that all fundamentally deterministic alternatives have been ruled out. The experimental results does not quite rise to this standard (since it does not rule out BM or MWI).DrChinese said:i) "Thus, the experimental facts of quantum mechanics do not establish indeterminism." Actually, essentially every quantum experiment ever run confirms the root nature of randomness in QM.* No experiment has ever been run that correctly predicts the outcome of a 50:50 Beam splitter using Bohmian theory. (oQM says that there is no more complete specification of the system.)
I feel that this paper, as written, kind of needs you to already be pretty amenable to a Bohmian view to "get" it and I don't think it's changing the mind of Zeilinger or other physicists in other camps.
The non-sequitar about evolution vs intelligent design at the end was also rather unusual.
Yeah, that is a standard remark against MWI. But to be fair to MWI, it does try to address this objection by saying the observations of different outcomes happen in different, disconnected, worlds. As an interpretation, it wasn't trying to make testably different predictions from standard QM anyways.DrChinese said:ii) To be fair, MWI proponents miss the ball on the same point. In case no one noticed: Only a single outcome of every quantum experiment ever run has been observed.*
That would make both no longer interpretations of QM but rather new theories. There are some mumblings about whether these interpretations "make new predictions" but none of the mumblings have, AFAIK, gained widespread acceptance even within their respective subcommunities.DrChinese said:Neither i) or ii) make the concepts of BM or MWI worthless. But I would not say experimental results haven't yet done either of them a favor. Their stronger points are on the conceptual side. Experiments show no hints of underlying determinism, or of other worlds. With both MWI and BM, the hope is that a future theoretical breakthrough might lead to a confirming experiment. That would be great.
They seem to be mostly targeting this paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16340995/ But I have not read it so I haven't seen both sides.DrChinese said:Please keep in mind that I don't pay much attention to Zeilinger's views on QM outside of his experimental papers themselves. He is very careful to limit the scope of his comments to what is generally accepted science in those.