Entropy and derivations - is my logic faulty?

In summary: Same comment here: please give a reference for this derivation and its assumptions.Can you give a reference? It is helpful to see the specific sources you are using.
Nick Prince
It is assumed that entropy increases in the universe. However, the fluid and acceleration equations are derived assuming that.

TdS=dE+pdV where dQ = TdS.

But dQ is usually set equal to zero to derive these equations. Hence since T is non zero, dS should be zero and so there would be no increase in entropy. This seems to conflict with the initial assumption. Can anyone fault my logic here.?

Space news on Phys.org
Nick Prince said:
It is assumed that entropy increases in the universe. However, the fluid and acceleration equations are derived assuming that.

TdS=dE+pdV where dQ = TdS.

But dQ is usually set equal to zero to derive these equations. Hence since T is non zero, dS should be zero and so there would be no increase in entropy. This seems to conflict with the initial assumption. Can anyone fault my logic here.?
I found this,

"The expansion of a homogeneous universe is adiabatic, as there is no place for “heat” to come from,
and no “friction” to convert energy of bulk motion into

It makes sense since T is not zero but its almost zero (2.73K).

Since the universe is homogeneous the energy density will be uniform for all the places. One place is not hot then the other place in example. So there can't be any heat transfer also CMB confirms that.

In the early universe this will be no longer true cause there particles are heavily interacting with each other.

Last edited:
Arman777 said:
I found this,

The expansion of a homogeneous universe is adiabatic, as there is no place for “heat” to come from,
and no “friction” to convert energy of bulk motion into random motions of particles.

In early universe I am not sure about the answer...
But adiabacity requires dQ = 0 (the universe can't dump heat out of a boundary, hence dE= - pdV. Most textbooks derive the fluid equation from this. T is proportional to 1/a and that means in the early universe T is High!

Nick Prince said:
It is assumed that entropy increases in the universe.

Can you give a reference? It is helpful to see the specific sources you are using.

Nick Prince said:
the fluid and acceleration equations are derived assuming...

Same comment here: please give a reference for this derivation and its assumptions.

Nick Prince said:
dQ is usually set equal to zero to derive these equations.

Same comment.

Arman777 said:
I found this

Where? Please give a specific reference.

Nick Prince said:
But adiabacity requires dQ = 0 (the universe can't dump heat out of a boundary, hence dE= - pdV. Most textbooks derive the fluid equation from this.
Yes as you said universe can't dump heat out of its boundry so there can't be change in dQ.

In adiabatic process heat transfers to work.

So In total there's no change in dQ.It just transforms to work.

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a reference? It is helpful to see the specific sources you are using.
Same comment here: please give a reference for this derivation and its assumptions.
Same comment.
Try Barbara Ryden p52-53, or Ray D'inverno p322.

Nick Prince said:
adiabacity requires dQ = 0 (the universe can't dump heat out of a boundary, hence dE= - pdV. Most textbooks derive the fluid equation from this.

Most textbooks on cosmology that I'm aware of derive the Friedmann equations from the Einstein Field Equation. They don't make any assumptions of the sort you're describing; their only assumption is a homogeneous and isotropic universe.

Nick Prince said:
T is proportional to 1/a

Temperature of what? And in what model?

Nick Prince said:
See also Liddle - An introduction to modern cosmology p26.

PeterDonis said:
Most textbooks on cosmology that I'm aware of derive the Friedmann equations from the Einstein Field Equation. They don't make any assumptions of the sort you're describing; their only assumption is a homogeneous and isotropic universe.
The temperature of the background in a model based on the Friedmann equations. a is the scale factor.

Arman777 said:
I ll try again.

Looks ok, I was able to get to the URL and see the quote you gave.

Arman777 said:
Since the universe is homogeneous the energy density will be uniform for all the places.

Yes, but this still doesn't say how energy density is related to temperature.

Arman777 said:

This T is the T of the CMB. It's not the same as the T of other components of the universe. The link you gave discusses two kinds of components: radiation (of which the CMB is an example) and cold non-relativistic matter. What is the T of the latter?

Nick Prince said:
The temperature of the background

Do you mean the CMB?

PeterDonis said:
Not talking about Friedmann derivations. I'm talking about continuity equation and acceleration equations.

Nick Prince said:

In my copy of Ryden this talks about redshift, not thermodynamics. A chapter/section reference would be helpful. I don't have a copy of D'Inverno.

Nick Prince said:
See also Liddle - An introduction to modern cosmology p26.

In my copy this doesn't talk about thermodynamics at all, it just talks about spherical geometry. Again, a chapter/section reference would be helpful.

Nick Prince said:
Not talking about Friedmann derivations. I'm talking about continuity equation and acceleration equations.
Yes I mean the CMB.

PeterDonis said:
In my copy of Ryden this talks about redshift, not thermodynamics. A chapter/section reference would be helpful. I don't have a copy of D'Inverno.
In my copy this doesn't talk about thermodynamics at all, it just talks about spherical geometry. Again, a chapter/section reference would be helpful.
In my copy it is section 3.4 p 26 Ryden is section 4.2.

Nick Prince said:

I don't know what you mean by these. "Continuity equation" to me means the covariant divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero, which doesn't add any information if I already have the Friedmann equations. "Acceleration equation" to me means the second Friedmann equation.

Nick Prince said:
In my copy it is section 3.4 p 26

Ok, got it. This specifically says it assumes a reversible expansion ##dS = 0##, so obviously it rules out by fiat any entropy increase. But it's just an assumption, not a proof.

Nick Prince said:
Ryden is section 4.2.

Same comment here: it is explicitly assumed that entropy does not increase.

So now I'm confused; you said in your OP:

Nick Prince said:
It is assumed that entropy increases in the universe.

But so far you've given two sources that make precisely the opposite assumption. So what source are you getting the assumption from that "entropy increases in the universe"?

PeterDonis said:
I don't know what you mean by these. "Continuity equation" to me means the covariant divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero, which doesn't add any information if I already have the Friedmann equations. "Acceleration equation" to me means the second Friedmann equation.
Ok Ryden has for section 4.2 THE FLUID AND ACCELERATION EQUATIONS she derives the fluid equation first then uses the ist F'man equation to get the 2nd accn eqn. I call the fluid equation the continuity equation.

PeterDonis said:
Ok, got it. This specifically says it assumes a reversible expansion ##dS = 0##, so obviously it rules out by fiat any entropy increase. But it's just an assumption, not a proof.

But so far you've given two sources that make precisely the opposite assumption. So what source are you getting the assumption from that "entropy increases in the universe"?
Do you think that entropy does not increase in our universe?

dS=dQ/T only for a reversible process. The processes taking place in the universe are not reversible. So entropy is being generated in the universe even though dQ is equal to zero.

PeterDonis said:

Do you think that entropy doesn't increase in the universe?

Chestermiller said:
dS=dQ/T only for a reversible process. The processes taking place in the universe are not reversible. So entropy is being generated in the universe even though dQ is equal to zero.

Can you elaborate?

Nick Prince said:
Can you elaborate?
Are you not aware that you can determine the entropy change between two states of a system only by determining the integral of dq/T for a reversible path?

Nick Prince said:
Can you elaborate?
Chestermiller said:
The entropy of sub systems is additive so the overall entropy of the universe must be greater than zero. This must be equal to T dS hence dS of the whole universe must be positive not zero?

Nick Prince said:
The entropy of sub systems is additive so the overall entropy of the universe must be greater than zero. This must be equal to T dS hence dS of the whole universe must be positive not zero?
I have no idea what you're saying here. Here is a link to a Physics Forums Insights article I wrote a couple of years ago on Entropy and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-entropy-2nd-law-thermodynamics/

Hope this helps.

Nick Prince said:
The entropy of sub systems is additive so the overall entropy of the universe must be greater than zero. This must mean Tds non zero so dq must be non zero. Thanks Chestermiller will look at this link

Nick Prince said:
Ryden has for section 4.2 THE FLUID AND ACCELERATION EQUATIONS she derives the fluid equation first then uses the ist F'man equation to get the 2nd accn eqn. I call the fluid equation the continuity equation.

Yes, I agree that is the terminology she is using.

Nick Prince said:
Do you think that entropy does not increase in our universe?

No. But that does not mean I think entropy is increasing in the idealized models of a homogeneous, isotropic universe based on the Friedmann equations. Your references make it obvious that it is not. So, if entropy is in fact increasing in our universe, it is obviously doing so as a result of some process that is not included in those idealized models.

For an isolated system like the universe, the Clausius inequality reduces to $$\Delta S\gt\int{\frac{dq}{T}}=0$$This means that, even with no heat transfer to the system (dq=0), entropy is generated with the system itself, and thereby increases.

Likes Arman777
Nick Prince said:
The entropy of sub systems is additive

There are no "subsystems" in the Friedmann models, or in the thermodynamics based on them that you referenced. There is just one homogeneous, isotropic universe.

Nick Prince said:
so the overall entropy of the universe must be greater than zero

For our actual universe, yes, I agree. For the idealized universe in the Friedmann models, however, you might want to rethink this statement.

Nick Prince said:
This must be equal to T dS

No, ##T dS## is the change in entropy as a result of some process. If the process is adiabatic, as the expansion of the homogeneous, isotropic universe is in the Friedmann models, then ##dS = 0##. Your references make that clear. What they do not discuss at all is what other processes might be taking place in the actual universe (as opposed to the idealized universe in the Friedmann models) that might increase entropy.

PeterDonis said:
No. But that does not mean I think entropy is increasing in the idealized models of a homogeneous, isotropic universe based on the Friedmann equations. Your references make it obvious that it is not. So, if entropy is in fact increasing in our universe, it is obviously doing so as a result of some process that is not included in those idealized models.
So the implicit starting assumptions are wrong and hence the friedmann's accn and continuity equation are not complete?

Nick Prince said:
So the implicit starting assumptions are wrong and hence the friedmann's accn and continuity equation are not complete?

Do you think the equations in the references you gave are complete models of everything that happens in the universe?

Likes Arman777 and Chestermiller
PeterDonis said:
Looks ok, I was able to get to the URL and see the quote you gave.
Yes, but this still doesn't say how energy density is related to temperature.
This T is the T of the CMB. It's not the same as the T of other components of the universe. The link you gave discusses two kinds of components: radiation (of which the CMB is an example) and cold non-relativistic matter. What is the T of the latter?
Thats nice then

Well I mean to radiation energy density. And radiation energy density has a relationship with tempature.

I mean the CMB.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is the amount of energy in a system that is unavailable for work.

2. How is entropy related to derivations?

Entropy is related to derivations through the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Derivations are used to mathematically describe and analyze changes in a system, which can help us understand how entropy changes over time.

3. Can entropy be negative?

No, entropy cannot be negative. Entropy is a measure of disorder, so it can only increase or stay the same over time. A negative entropy value would indicate a decrease in disorder, which goes against the second law of thermodynamics.

4. How does entropy relate to the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the asymmetry of time, where events only move forward and not backwards. Entropy is closely related to the arrow of time because it is a measure of the direction in which a system tends to move. As entropy increases, disorder increases, and the system becomes more disordered, which aligns with the forward movement of time.

5. Is my logic faulty if I don't fully understand entropy and derivations?

No, not necessarily. Entropy and derivations can be complex concepts to fully grasp, and it is common for people to have difficulty understanding them. It is important to continue learning and seeking clarification if needed, but not understanding these concepts does not mean your logic is faulty.