Entropy change for isothermal expansion of ideal gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
cmcc3119
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
Two moles of an ideal gas undergo a reversible isothermal expansion from 1.97×10−2 m^3 to 4.82×10−2 m^3 at a temperature of 20.0 C.

What is the change in entropy of the gas?

WORKING:

Using [tex]\Delta[/tex]S = nRIn(V2/V1)

= 2(8.31*ln(4.82*10^-2/1.97*10^-2)

ANS = -138.20 J/K

Is this correct? I can only enter it once on my website and I want to make sure this is right first time :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cmcc3119,

I think you made a math error in your calculation; I don't think that number follows from the line above it.
 
Yep I figured out the right anwer which is 14.9

I don't know what I meant with that massive negative figure! Thanks for you help anyway.