1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid as a function of temperature

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    5. The nuclei of atoms in a certain crystalline solid have spin one. Each nucleus can be in any one of three quantum states labeled by the quantum number m, where m = −1,0,1. This quant number measures the projection of the nuclear spin along a crystal axis of the solid. Due to the ellipsoidal symmetry, a nucleus has the same energyε for in the state m = −1 and the state m = 1, compared with an energy E = 0 in the state of m = 0.
    (a) Find an expression as a function of T of the nuclear contribution to the average internal energy of the solid
    per mol.
    (b) Find an expression as a function of T of the nuclear contribution to the entropy of the solid per mol

2. Relevant equations
    U=∑EiPi
    Pi=[itex]e^{-Ei/kT}/Z[/itex]
    Z=∑[itex]e^{-Ei/kT}[/itex]
    Where the sums are over all available states

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved part a by using the first equation and solving for Z. I got

Z=[itex]1+2e^{-ε/kT}[/itex]
    U=[itex]\frac{2ε}{2+e^{ε/kT}}[/itex]

To get the energy per mole as a function of temperature, I simply multiplied by Avagadro's number

[itex]\frac{U}{mol}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2εN_{A}}{2+e^{ε/kT}}[/itex]

From here, I get stuck trying to find entropy as a function of T. I'm not quite certain what to do. I've tried S=[itex]\int TdU[/itex] but it gives me a gruesome mess that can't be solved analytically by Mathematica. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted