Entry Mech Eng salary lower than expected?

• Thread starter jaredmt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the expected salary for an entry level engineer, according to websites like salary.com, and the actual salaries offered during interviews. It is suggested that this could be due to a surplus of graduates for a limited number of jobs. The conversation also touches on the importance of negotiating salary and how it is often a starting point for a larger negotiation. It is advised to focus on whether the company is a good fit before discussing salary, and to be assertive and reference relevant statistics and experience during negotiations. Ultimately, effective negotiating skills can greatly impact the final salary offer.
jaredmt
I have been going on interviews lately and the salaries offered seem to be way lower than what I've researched from salary.com and other websites. according to these sites I am supposed to get between 50k-60k for Entry Level engineer
but the reality is more like 20k-40k from what I've seen so far.

why is this? I just graduated recently and my only experience is internships. would i see the 50k-60k salary if i had 1-2 years experience?

i live in nj by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not from the U.S but my reasoning will be the employers know there is a surplus of graduates for a small amount of jobs.

jaredmt said:
I have been going on interviews lately and the salaries offered seem to be way lower than what I've researched from salary.com and other websites. according to these sites I am supposed to get between 50k-60k for Entry Level engineer

why is this? I just graduated recently and my only experience is internships. would i see the 50k-60k salary if i had 1-2 years experience?

i live in nj by the way.

I would say you might be getting lowballed a little bit, but from my personal experience 50k is pretty close to what entry level BS engineers are going for these days. salary.com might be a bit skewed. It also depends a lot on the industry.

Keep in mind that a salary offer is the opening of a negotiation. If you're a good candidate, the companies will be flexible. Particularly if you go at them with facts like the salary survey.

Good luck!

Anything below 40k is definitely low. MEs start at low to mid 40s on average in my area and it is a much cheaper place to live than NJ.

I will say that usually the starting salary listed on most sites is usually a little on the high side which I think is generally because those making higher are more likely to report their salaries.

jaredmt said:

i live in nj by the way.

I would contact a recruiter. They may be able to help get you set up with companies that will not publicly advertise, but the can tell you if the money is right for your desired location, education, experience, licensure, etc.

Remember not to overly discuss Salary before you confirm that you have the job. If they are telling you the salary mid-interview, defer! Say "Lets focus on whether this is a good fit first before talking about money."

If they press the issue, tell them it won't matter what the salary is if the company isn't right for you. Discuss everything else, obviously come with questions of your own, then ask them if they think you would fit well in the job position if an agreement can be made on wages. If they say yes, this means you've essentially got the job, and even if you are a terrible negotiator, you won't walk away with any less.

Remember to be somewhat assertive. Like the above poster said, if they offer 20k a year, show or at least reference those wage statisics. Be sure to also reference how your experience makes you valuable to them. If you can give them a reason you will make them an extra hundred thousand, another five thousand on your salary looks like a great deal.

If it's close but not quite where you want and they won't budge because of a budget or something, ask for an extra week vacation. If you've already got them to admit that they WOULD give you the extra money but blah blah blah, an extra week instead looks like a fair compromise.

A good negotiator is someone they'll want on their team. Just controlling the situation to your advantage will make the other person feel like they've made a good hire, and that you were worth whatever extra they threw on. Just remember that whatever number they say can be magnitudes lower then what you end up getting, and it all depends on those 45 minutes in a conference room. So practice your interviewing skills and see if it makes a difference in your final offers

1. Why is my entry-level mechanical engineering salary lower than expected?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to the current state of the job market, where there may be a surplus of entry-level engineers and companies are offering lower salaries to remain competitive. It could also be because of your lack of experience or a lower demand for your specific skillset. Additionally, your salary may have been negotiated based on your qualifications and the company's budget.

2. Is it normal for entry-level mechanical engineers to have lower salaries?

It is not uncommon for entry-level engineers to have lower salaries compared to more experienced engineers. This is because they have less experience and may require more training and supervision. However, your salary should increase as you gain more experience and take on more responsibilities.

3. How can I negotiate for a higher salary as an entry-level mechanical engineer?

Before negotiating, do your research and determine the average salary for entry-level mechanical engineers in your area. Use this information to support your request for a higher salary. You can also highlight any additional skills or experiences that make you a valuable asset to the company. Be confident but also be willing to compromise.

4. Can I ask for a salary increase after starting at a lower salary?

Yes, you can ask for a salary increase at any time. However, it is best to wait until you have been with the company for at least 6 months or have completed a major project or task successfully. This will give you more leverage and show your value to the company.

5. Should I consider other job opportunities if my entry-level mechanical engineering salary is lower than expected?

If your salary is significantly lower than the industry average or your financial needs, it may be worth considering other job opportunities. However, keep in mind that salary is not the only factor to consider when evaluating a job offer. Benefits, growth opportunities, and company culture are also important considerations.