1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: EoM from action, indices confused, (QFT)

1. Dec 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the E-L equations to get the EoM from the action.

2. Relevant equations

I am using E-L equations in the form:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} ##

where ##L ## is the Lagrangian

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a bit confused with the term ## \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi ## of alot of actions.

The correct answer is ## \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \partial^u \phi ##

As it is for the first term of the EoM from [1] I get:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \frac{1}{2} \partial^u \phi = \frac{1}{2}\partial_u \partial^u \phi ##

However if I write it as ##\frac{1}{2}(\partial_u \phi)^2 ## , the factor of half cancels, but my indices don't work out :

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \partial_u \phi = \partial_u \partial_u \phi ##

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Writing it as ##(\partial_u \phi)^2/2## is a bastard notation often used in physics. At face value you might think it means what you are taking it to mean, but what it really means is ##g^{ab}(\partial_a\phi)(\partial_b \phi)/2##.

4. Dec 25, 2017 #3
    i dont understand the differnce, the metric in your expression raises the index to get the same expression, no?

5. Dec 25, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes, the point being that the expression ##(\partial_a \phi)^2## while seemingly containing two covariant indices really contains a contraction between a covariant and a contravariant index and needs to be treated as such.

6. Dec 25, 2017 #5
    oh so as in when i differentiate what i have done is treated them as seperate indices but i need to apply some sort of chain rule instead?

7. Dec 25, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Right. ##\partial^a\phi## is not indepentent from ##\partial_a\phi##.

8. Dec 25, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You mean when you take the derivative ##\partial_u## of ##\partial L/\partial(\partial_u\phi)##? In general yes, but in most cases QFT is done on a Minkowski space background meaning that that term vanishes. In a curved background (or in curvilinear coordinates) you will generally not obtain ##\partial_a\partial^a\phi =0## but ##\nabla_a\partial^a\phi =0##, which is fortunate since the first expression is not invariant whereas the second is.

9. Dec 26, 2017 #8
    so looking at the OP, what is the term coming from the chain rule I am missing that you have hinted at.
    From the above discussion all I have is:

##\frac{1}{2} \partial_u (g^{ua} \partial_{a} \phi )
    =\frac{1}{2} ( g^{ua} \partial_u \partial_{a} \phi + \partial_{a} \phi \partial_u g^{ua} ) ##

this is equal to what I had previously , sincce the 2nd term is zero...

Please can I have more guidance,

thanks

10. Dec 26, 2017 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Why do you still have the 1/2?

11. Dec 26, 2017 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Also I am not sure I understand what you think the problem is ...

12. Dec 26, 2017 #11
    becuse in genreal the action will include other terms such as ## m^2 \phi ^2 + \lambda \frac{\phi}{4!} ## i.e ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi } \neq 0 ##

13. Dec 26, 2017 #12

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Are you dealing with a complex scalar field or a real scalar field? The 1/2 should disappear in the case of a real scalar field because you have two derivative terms. In the case of a complex field you do not have the factor of 1/2 from the beginning. In the case of a real scalar field, the mass term also comes with a 1/2.

14. Dec 26, 2017 #13
    yep the m^2 term comes with a half.
    no i mean im stil struggling with this derivative term.

ok so I want ## \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi) = \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi)= g^{au}\partial_a \phi (1) + g^{au}\partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) + 0 ##

using the product rule

for the 2nd term I get ## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) =\delta^{au} ##

this must be wrong since this then gives me a factor of ##4## via the trace of the metric and so the index is not raised as required also.

15. Dec 28, 2017 #14

please can somebody help with my working here, is the delta term wrong? thanks

16. Dec 28, 2017 #15

haushofer

Science Advisor

You're using very confusing notation, which I think is the reason people are not responding. I fix your notation and get

## \frac{\partial }{\partial_c} (\partial_b \phi \partial^b \phi) = \partial_c \Bigl(\eta^{ab} \partial_a \phi \partial_b \phi \Bigr) = \eta^{ab} \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial_b \phi + \partial_a \phi ( \partial_c \partial _b \phi ) \Bigr) = \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial^a \phi + \partial^a \phi ( \partial_c \partial_a \phi ) \Bigr)##

This equals

## 2 \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial^a \phi \Bigr)##

17. Dec 28, 2017 #16

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you want that? The Euler-Lagrange equations of motion are:

[itex]\partial_u \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}[/itex]

But [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \partial^u \phi[/itex] (assuming [itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi [/itex] + terms involving powers of [itex]\phi[/itex])

So unless you have a strange Lagrangian, you shouldn't have to compute [itex]\partial_u (\partial_v \phi \partial^v \phi)[/itex]

18. Dec 29, 2017 #17

okay well I was trying to incrorporate Oroduin's hints since, as said in the OP, i can't get rid of the factor of 1/2 in the derivative term.

To give a specfic example if I consider: ##-1/2 \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi - 1/2 m^2 \phi^2 ##
    then, my previous method, before making this thread was:
    ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}= m^2 \phi##
    ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi}= \partial^u \phi (-1/2) ##

therefore yielding ## \partial_u \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = -1/2 \partial^u\partial_u \phi + m^2 \phi ##
    whereas the EoM is : ## \partial^u \partial_u \phi -m^2 \phi^2 ##

But now, trying to use Oroduin's hint I rewrite as ## L=-1/2 \partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi +m^2term... ##
    Now looking at the derivative term I get ## \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} = =-1/2g^{au} ( \partial_a \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_u \phi) + \partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_a \phi))=-1/2 g^{au} ( \partial_a \phi (1) + \partial_u \phi \delta_{au}) ##
    where I have used the product rule, and taken out the metric since it is the minkoski...

##= -1/2 (\partial^u \phi + g^{uu}\partial_u \phi) ##...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  19. Dec 29, 2017 #18

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have to be careful about indices. If you look at just the term [itex]\frac{1}{2} g^{au} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_u \phi)[/itex] and you take a derivative with respect to [itex]\partial_u \phi[/itex], you have to realize that in [itex]\frac{1}{2} g^{au} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_u \phi)[/itex], [itex]u[/itex] is a dummy index. You can replace it by [itex]v[/itex], say. So you have:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_v \phi)[/itex]

Now, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_a \phi) = 0[/itex] unless [itex]a=u[/itex]. So we can summarize it as:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_a \phi) = \delta^u_a[/itex]

Similarly,

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_v \phi) = \delta^u_v[/itex]

So using the product rule gives you:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_v \phi) = \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\delta^u_a \partial_v \phi + \delta^u_v \partial_a \phi)[/itex]

Then we can use [itex]g^{av} \delta^u_a = g^{uv} \delta^u_a[/itex]. Summing over [itex]a[/itex] gives [itex]g^{uv}[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]g^{av} \delta^u_v = g^{au} \delta^u_v[/itex]. Summing over [itex]v[/itex] gives [itex]g^{au}[/itex]. So this simplifies to:

[itex]\frac{1}{2} (g^{uv} \partial_v \phi + g^{au} \partial_a \phi)[/itex]

Those two terms are the same, since [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are dummies and [itex]g^{au} = g^{ua}[/itex]. So we have:
    [itex]g^{uv} \partial_v \phi[/itex]

The EoM are just:

[itex]\partial_u (g^{uv} \partial_v \phi) = \pm m^2 \phi[/itex]

(I don't remember whether the right side is a + or a -)

20. Dec 29, 2017 #19

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In flat spacetime, you can take the [itex]g^{uv}[/itex] outside the derivative.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted