General Solution to Killing's Equation in flat s-t

In summary, the homework statement is that Killing's equation reduces to a system of two equations in which the first equation is antisymmetric and the second equation is symmetric.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Killing Equation is: ##\nabla_u K_v + \nabla_v K_u =0 ##

In flat s-t this reduces to:

##\partial_u K_v + \partial_v K_u =0 ##

With a general solution of the form:

##K_u= a_u + b_{uc} K^c ##

where ##a_u## and ##b_{uv}## are a constant vector and a constant tensor

QUESTION
Show that ##b_{uv}## is antisymmetric: ##b_{uv}=-b{vu}##

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
subbing in the general solution form I have:

## \partial_u (a_v+ b_{va}x^a) + \partial_v (a_u+ b_{ua}x^a) ##

From Kiling's equation it is obvious that ##\partial_v K_u ## is antisymmetric in ##u,v ##

Here I need to look at ##v##and ##a## in the first term and ##u## and ##a## in the second term, ?where the ##a## is summed over in both terms, which is throwing me of a bit and I'm not sure what to do?

Or if I use the antisymmetry of ##u## and ##v## and substitute in the general form of ##K^u## I have:

##\partial_u(a_v+b_{va}x^a)=-\partial_v(a_u+b_{ua}x^a)##

and now I am not sure what to do
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See, it's far more easy if you consider the problem in the following way.

An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is of the form ##\Lambda_{\alpha \beta} = 1 + \epsilon \ \delta_{\alpha \beta}, |\epsilon| <<1##.
At the same time, a Lorentz transformation must satisfy the Lorentz condition (hopefully you know this) ##\Lambda^T \eta^T \Lambda = \eta##.

This condition means that ##\Lambda \Lambda^T = 1##. Let's see what we get if we use the above expression for ##\Lambda##.

$$\Lambda_{\alpha \beta} \Lambda_{\beta \alpha} = (1 + \epsilon \delta_{\alpha \beta}) (1 + \epsilon \delta_{\beta \alpha}) = 1 + \epsilon (\delta_{\alpha \beta} + \delta_{\beta \alpha}) + \mathcal{O} (\epsilon)^2 \approx 1 + \epsilon (\delta_{\alpha \beta} + \delta_{\beta \alpha}) \stackrel{!}{=} 1$$ The above identity is satisfied only if ##\delta_{\alpha \beta} = - \delta_{\beta \alpha}##.

binbagsss said:
Ku=au+bucKc

Do you maybe mean ##K_u = a_u + b_{uc}x^c##?

Likes binbagsss
Metmann said:
Do you maybe mean ##K_u = a_u + b_{uc}x^c##?

apologies yes i do

Tio Barnabe said:
See, it's far more easy if you consider the problem in the following way.

An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is of the form ##\Lambda_{\alpha \beta} = 1 + \epsilon \ \delta_{\alpha \beta}, |\epsilon| <<1##.
At the same time, a Lorentz transformation must satisfy the Lorentz condition (hopefully you know this) ##\Lambda^T \eta^T \Lambda = \eta##.

This condition means that ##\Lambda \Lambda^T = 1##. Let's see what we get if we use the above expression for ##\Lambda##.

$$\Lambda_{\alpha \beta} \Lambda_{\beta \alpha} = (1 + \epsilon \delta_{\alpha \beta}) (1 + \epsilon \delta_{\beta \alpha}) = 1 + \epsilon (\delta_{\alpha \beta} + \delta_{\beta \alpha}) + \mathcal{O} (\epsilon)^2 \approx 1 + \epsilon (\delta_{\alpha \beta} + \delta_{\beta \alpha}) \stackrel{!}{=} 1$$ The above identity is satisfied only if ##\delta_{\alpha \beta} = - \delta_{\beta \alpha}##.

Apologies I didn't say in the OP
but the question is to show this is implied by Killings equation.
thanks

binbagsss said:
apologies yes i do
But then the answer is trivial. Plugging the general solution into Killing's flat equation yields $$ b_{uc} \partial_v x^c = - b_{vc} \partial_u x^c,$$
which is equivalent to
$$ b_{uc} \delta^c_v = b_{uv} = - b_{vu} = - b_{vc}\delta^c_u $$.

Maybe you missed, that ##a## and ##b## are constant, so ##\partial a = 0## and ##\partial ( b x )= b \partial x##.

Last edited by a moderator:
binbagsss said:
the question is to show this is implied by Killings equation
Ok. Then substitute the solution into the Killing Equation. You should get:

##(b_{\nu \sigma} \partial_\mu + b_{\mu \sigma} \partial_\nu) K^\sigma = 0##. This is to hold for any vector ##K##,
so we can re express it without the vector ##K## in front: ##b_{\nu \sigma} \partial_\mu + b_{\mu \sigma} \partial_\nu = 0##.

Make the possible cyclic permutations for the indices in the above expression. There are two useful cyclic permutations in our case:

1 - swap ##\nu## and ##\sigma##;
2 - swap ##\sigma## and ##\nu##.

You then obtain

$$b_{\nu \sigma} \partial_\mu + b_{\mu \sigma} \partial_\nu = 0 \\
b_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu + b_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma = 0 \\
b_{\nu \mu} \partial_\sigma + b_{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu = 0$$

Now add these three equations together, noticing that 0 + 0 + 0 = 0, and you will get what you are looking for.

Likes binbagsss

What is the General Solution to Killing's Equation in flat s-t?

The General Solution to Killing's Equation in flat s-t is a mathematical formula used in the study of spacetime and general relativity. It describes the behavior of a vector field in a flat spacetime, where the metric is Minkowski.

What is Killing's Equation?

Killing's Equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the behavior of a vector field on a Riemannian manifold. It was first introduced by Wilhelm Killing in 1885 and has since been used extensively in the study of differential geometry and relativity.

What is a flat s-t spacetime?

A flat s-t spacetime is a type of spacetime in which the metric is Minkowski. This means that the spacetime is flat and follows the principles of special relativity, where the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

What is the significance of the General Solution to Killing's Equation?

The General Solution to Killing's Equation is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of vector fields in a flat spacetime. This is important in the study of general relativity and helps us to describe the behavior of particles and objects in a flat s-t spacetime.

How is the General Solution to Killing's Equation used in practice?

The General Solution to Killing's Equation is used in a variety of fields, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is often used in the study of spacetime, Einstein's theory of general relativity, and the behavior of particles and objects in a flat s-t spacetime. It also has practical applications in fields such as cosmology, where it is used to model the behavior of the universe.