Calculating Load Capacity of 96"x48"x6" EPS Foam Board

• Thread starter dustman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bending
In summary, the individual is seeking to determine the weight capacity of a 96"x48"x6" EPS foam board when laid flat and supported at both ends, with a 96" span. The tensile psi for the board is 92 and the compressive psi is 52, both at a 10% deformation. They want to be able to support temporary 200lb loads at any point on the span, with minimal bending. The max stress will occur when the load is applied at the center of the board, using simple beam equations. The maximum compressive stress controls the design. If the load is spread over a small area near the center, equations from the book "Roark's Stress and Strain" should be
dustman
TL;DR Summary
I need to figure out how much weight a 96"x48"x6" EPS foam board can hold when laid flat and supported at both ends. Tensile psi: 92. Compressive psi: 52.
I need to figure out how much weight a 96"x48"x6" EPS foam board can hold when laid flat and supported at both ends(96" span). Tensile psi: 92. Compressive psi: 52. I believe these figures are for 10 percent deformation. I would like to support temporary 200lb loads at any point on the span, with little to no bending. These would not be point loads so am not worried about "local" deformation. If you can tell me how to calculate this myself I would be grateful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the foam board is simply supported at its short ends, and if your load is applied uniformly along the full width of the board but over a small length , then the max stress will occur when this load is applied at the center and the max stress at the center can be approximated using simple beam equations, where max M is PL/4 and max stress is Mc/I. Max compressive stress controls the design. If your load more closely approximates its being spread over just a small area near the center, it is best to use equations listed in the book entitled "Roark's Stress and Strain".

I'm not familiar with stress allowables and deflections in foam, so take this response lightly, please. Disclaimer: Do not use this as a basis for design.
Thank you.

PhanthomJay said:
If the foam board is simply supported at its short ends, and if your load is applied uniformly along the full width of the board but over a small length , then the max stress will occur when this load is applied at the center and the max stress at the center can be approximated using simple beam equations, where max M is PL/4 and max stress is Mc/I. Max compressive stress controls the design. If your load more closely approximates its being spread over just a small area near the center, it is best to use equations listed in the book entitled "Roark's Stress and Strain".

I'm not familiar with stress allowables and deflections in foam, so take this response lightly, please. Disclaimer: Do not use this as a basis for design.
Thank you.
Thank you for the response.

I had meant point load as in very small point, like the ball of a foot, because I thought people might get hung up on the brittle nature of the foams surface. Basically I need to be able to walk over the panel without it bending or breaking. Yes, I figured that the compression would be the limiting factor. I'm not sure what these terms are: M, PL/4, Mc/I. Would you mind explaining?

dustman said:
Thank you for the response.

I had meant point load as in very small point, like the ball of a foot, because I thought people might get hung up on the brittle nature of the foams surface. Basically I need to be able to walk over the panel without it bending or breaking. Yes, I figured that the compression would be the limiting factor. I'm not sure what these terms are: M, PL/4, Mc/I. Would you mind explaining?
M is the bending moment and at its maximum is equal to PL/4 from basic statics of a simple beam, along the short centerline of the plate for the simplified loading case I noted, where P is 200 pounds, L is 96 inches, and thus M-max is PL/4 or about 5000 in-lb. Then c is just half the board's thickness, or c is 3 inches, and I is the plate's area moment of Inertia, which is equal to bt^3/12, where b is 48 inches and t is 6 inches. You have to be an engineering student taking a course in mechanics of materials to understand all this stuff. Otherwise, it just becomes algebra, and you should get a max stress of about 20 psi. However, this is not your actual case if you are walking along the board, where your full 200 pounds is more like a point load, and stresses could be much higher, maybe double or more. I'll see if i can find one of those plate tables from Roark, I don't have the book.
In terms of its deflection or bending, all materials known to humankind will deflect or deform under load, sometimes a tiny bit,. sometimes a lot. These are harder to calculate, because you need to know of other properties of the foam board, like its elasticity modulus and stress-strain characteristics.

If you walk across the board and it breaks or bends excessively. I take no responsibility. Make sure the ends are fully supported full width along its ends. I've got a feeling that if your allowable stresses are correct, you're going to make it across OK. Just make sure the board is elevated just a few inches off the floor, in case you fall. This isn't a circus act, you know.. And be sure to walk across slowly, to avoid sudden impact loading.

1. How do you calculate the load capacity of EPS foam board?

The load capacity of EPS foam board can be calculated by multiplying the surface area of the board (96" x 48" = 4608 sq. inches) by the compressive strength of the foam (typically measured in pounds per square inch, or PSI). For example, if the foam has a compressive strength of 10 PSI, the load capacity would be 46,080 pounds (4608 sq. inches x 10 PSI).

2. What factors affect the load capacity of EPS foam board?

The load capacity of EPS foam board can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and density of the foam, the distribution of weight on the board, and the temperature and humidity conditions. Additionally, any defects or damage to the foam can also impact its load capacity.

3. Can the load capacity of EPS foam board be increased?

Yes, the load capacity of EPS foam board can be increased by using a higher density foam or increasing the thickness of the board. Additionally, using multiple layers of foam or reinforcing the board with other materials can also increase its load capacity.

4. Are there any safety considerations when calculating the load capacity of EPS foam board?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for load capacity to ensure the safety of the structure. It is also important to consider the potential for deformation or failure under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or heavy loads.

5. Are there any alternatives to EPS foam board for load-bearing applications?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used for load-bearing applications, such as wood, metal, or other types of foam. However, EPS foam board is often preferred due to its lightweight, cost-effective, and insulating properties.