Epsilon delta proof, 3-space help

In summary, an epsilon delta proof is a mathematical method used to formally prove the limit of a function. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to show that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that ensures the function's output is within epsilon of the limit. In 3-dimensional space, an epsilon delta proof can be used to prove the limit of a function of three variables. Instead of using a single value for epsilon and delta, three values are used to account for each variable. This allows for a more precise understanding of the function's behavior in 3D space. An epsilon delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous and precise method for proving limits and understanding the behavior of functions. It allows
georgeh
I am trying to show that a certain function, f(x) has a limit that approaches 1. Does anyone have any sites i can look at for epsilon delta proof for 3-space? I've saw the ones for two space, but they aren't really helping me out in this pickle..
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? What have you tried?

I think this is the one you're looking for.

[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(x_0,y_0)}f(x,y)=L[/tex] if for each [itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0 there corresponds a [itex]\delta[/itex]>0 such that [tex]|f(x,y)-L|<\epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0<\sqrt{(x-x_0)^2+(y-y_0)^2}<\delta[/tex].

1. What is an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a mathematical method used to formally prove the limit of a function. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to show that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that ensures the function's output is within epsilon of the limit.

2. How is an epsilon delta proof used in 3-dimensional space?

In 3-dimensional space, an epsilon delta proof can be used to prove the limit of a function of three variables. Instead of using a single value for epsilon and delta, three values are used to account for each variable. This allows for a more precise understanding of the function's behavior in 3D space.

3. What is the importance of using an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous and precise method for proving limits and understanding the behavior of functions. It allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus and is often used in advanced mathematical and scientific fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using an epsilon delta proof?

While an epsilon delta proof is a powerful tool, it can be difficult and time-consuming to use. It also requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and notation. Additionally, some functions may not be able to be proven using an epsilon delta proof, as they may be too complex or the limit may not exist.

5. How can I improve my understanding of epsilon delta proofs in 3-dimensional space?

To improve your understanding of epsilon delta proofs in 3-dimensional space, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the concepts and techniques. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or consulting with a mathematics tutor or professor.