How do I handle equality with the derivative and integration?

• Thread starter terryphi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, when taking the derivative or integral of both sides of an equation, the general rule is that as long as the operation is applied to both sides, the equality is maintained. However, the bounds for integration may vary depending on the problem. The derivative itself is not an algebraic operator, but differentiation is. To get the familiar derivative form, divide by the variable of differentiation. For integration, the indefinite integral can be taken on both sides to maintain equality.
terryphi
I know this is a simple question, but if I take the derivative of the left hand side, do I have to take the derivative of the right hand side? How do I maintain equality with the derivative? it's not an algebraic operation, so I'm not sure if I can just do the same thing to both sides and it still be equal.

what about integration? for integration, if I have to take the integral of both sides, how do I pick my bounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
General rule: if A= B and you do the same thing, say "f", to both sides, then f(A)= f(B). As long as "doing something" to A changes it, then A= B cannot give f(A)= B. That is true of any operation, whether algebraic, differential, or integral. As for "how do I pick my bounds", that depends on the particular problem. If A= B then \(\displaystyle \int Adx= \int B dx\) for any bounds or even as a indefinite integral.

The derivative, per se, isn't an algebraic operator, but differentiation is. The dy/dx is just moving the dx from the right side.
[tex]y=x^2[/tex]
[tex]d(y)=d(x^2)[/tex] Apply the operator of differentiation, "d", to both sides.
[tex]dy=2x\:dx[/tex] dy is just dy, and d(x^2) is 2x dx

To get it into the familiar derivative form, just divide by dx
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2x[/tex]

For integration in equalities, just do the indefinite integral, aka anti-derivative, of both sides.

1. What is the concept of equality in regards to the derivative?

The concept of equality in regards to the derivative is that for two functions to be equal, their derivatives must also be equal at every point. This means that the rate of change of both functions must be the same at every point.

2. How does the derivative relate to the concept of equality in mathematics?

The derivative is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a function. In the context of equality, it helps us determine whether two functions are equal by comparing their rates of change at different points.

3. Can the derivative be used to prove equality in all cases?

No, the derivative can only be used to prove equality in certain cases where both functions have the same rate of change at every point. In other cases, other mathematical tools may be needed to prove equality.

4. What are some real-life applications of the concept of equality and the derivative?

The concept of equality and the derivative is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It helps in analyzing rates of change and making predictions in these fields.

5. Can the concept of equality and the derivative be applied to non-mathematical contexts?

Yes, the concept of equality and the derivative can be applied to non-mathematical contexts as well. For example, it can be used in social sciences to analyze and compare different social, economic, and political systems and their rates of change over time.