Equation of Line Passing Through \(A(-5,-4)\) & \(B, C\) & \(D\)

• MHB
  • Thread starter sbhatnagar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, to find the equation of a line through \(A(-5,-4)\) meeting the lines \(x+3y+2=0\), \(2x+y+4=0\) and \(x-y-5=0\) at points \(B, \ C\) and \(D\) respectively, the gradient \(m\) of the line can be found using the equations \(\frac{y_i+4}{x_i+5}=m\) for each \(i=1,2,3\) and the equations defining the lines. Substituting \(x_1,\,x_{2},\,x_{3},\,y_1,\,y_{2},\mbox{ and
sbhatnagar
A line through \(A(-5,-4)\) meets the lines \(x+3y+2=0\), \(2x+y+4=0\) and \(x-y-5=0\) at the points \(B, \ C\) and \(D\) respectively. If

\[\left(\frac{15}{AB}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{AC}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{6}{AD}\right) ^2 \]

, find the equation of the line.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sbhatnagar said:
A line through \(A(-5,-4)\) meets the lines \(x+3y+2=0\), \(2x+y+4=0\) and \(x-y-5=0\) at the points \(B, \ C\) and \(D\) respectively. If

\[\left(\frac{15}{AB}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{AC}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{6}{AD}\right) ^2 \]

, find the equation of the line.

Hi sbhatnagar, :)

I shall outline the method to solve this problem.

Let \(m\) be the gradient of the line through \(A(-5,-4),\,B(x_{1},y_{1}),\,C(x_{2},y_{2})\mbox{ and }D(x_{3},y_{3})\). Then,

\[\frac{y_i+4}{x_i+5}=m\mbox{ for each }i=1,\,2,\,3\]

Also since the points B, C and D are on the lines given by \(x+3y+2=0\), \(2x+y+4=0\) and \(x-y-5=0\) respectively, we have,

\[x_1+3y_1+2=0\]

\[2x_2+y_2+4=0\]

\[x_{3}-y_{3}-5=0\]

Using the above six equations we can find \(x_1,\,x_{2},\,x_{3},\,y_1,\,y_{2},\mbox{ and }y_{3}\) in terms of \(m\).

Finally using the given equation, \(\left(\frac{15}{AB}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{AC}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{6}{AD}\right) ^2 \) the value of \(m\) can be found. Hence the equation of the line can be determined.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Last edited:
My solution can be found in the spoiler.

Let equation of line \(AC\) be

\[\frac{y+4}{\sin \theta}=\frac{x+5}{\cos \theta}=r\]

Let line \(AE\) make angle \(\theta\) with the \(x\)-axis and intersects \(x+3y+2=0\) at \(B\) at a distance \(r_1\) and line \(2x+y+4=0\) at \(C\) at a distance \(r_2\) and line \(x-y-5=0\) at \(D\) at a distance \(r_3\).
\[\therefore \ AB=r_1 , \ AC=r_2, \ AD=r_3\]

Putting \(x=r_1\cos \theta -5\) and \(y=r_1\sin \theta -4\) in \(x+3y+2 =0\) we get

\[\begin{aligned}
x+3y+2 &=0 \\
\Rightarrow r_1 \cos \theta -4 +3(r_1 \sin \theta -4)+2 &=0 \\
\Rightarrow r_1 &= \frac{-5-3(4)+2}{\cos \theta +3 \sin \theta} \\
\Rightarrow r_1 &= \frac{15}{\cos \theta +3 \sin \theta} \quad \cdots \text{(i)}

\end{aligned}\]

Similarly,

\[\begin{aligned}
r_2 &= \frac{10}{2\cos \theta + \sin \theta} \quad \cdots \text{(ii})\\
r_3 &= \frac{6}{\cos \theta - \sin \theta} \quad \cdots \text{(iii)}

\end{aligned}\]

But it is given that

\[\begin{aligned} \left(\frac{15}{AB}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{AC}\right)^2 &= \left(\frac{6}{AD}\right)^2 \\ \Rightarrow \left(\frac{15}{r_1}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{r_2}\right)^2 &= \left(\frac{6}{r_3}\right)^2 \\ \Rightarrow (\cos \theta + 3\sin \theta )^2+(2\cos \theta + \sin \theta)^2 &=(\cos \theta -\sin \theta)^2 \quad [\text{from equations (i), (ii) and (iii)}] \\ 4\cos^2 \theta + 6 \sin ^2 \theta +12 \sin \theta \cos \theta &=0 \\ (2\cos \theta + 3 \sin \theta )^2 &=0 \\ 2\cos \theta + 3 \sin \theta &=0 \\ \tan \theta &=-\frac{2}{3}\end{aligned}\]

On substituting this in the equation of \(AC\), we get

\[y+4=(x+5)\tan \theta \\ \Rightarrow y+4=-\frac{2}{3}(x+5) \\ \Rightarrow 2x+3y+22=0\]

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    2 KB · Views: 55

1. What is the equation of the line passing through points A(-5,-4) and B?

The equation of a line passing through two points, A(-5,-4) and B(xB,yB), can be found using the slope-intercept form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, we use the formula m = (yB - yA) / (xB - xA). Substituting the coordinates of A and B, we get m = (yB - (-4)) / (xB - (-5)). Once we have the slope, we can find the y-intercept by substituting the coordinates of either point into the slope-intercept form and solving for b. The resulting equation will be the equation of the line passing through A and B.

2. How do I find the equation of a line passing through A(-5,-4) and C?

The equation of a line passing through two points, A(-5,-4) and C(xC,yC), can be found using the same method as above. We find the slope using the formula m = (yC - yA) / (xC - xA), and then find the y-intercept using the slope-intercept form y = mx + b. The resulting equation will be the equation of the line passing through A and C.

3. Can I use a different form, such as point-slope form, to find the equation of the line passing through A(-5,-4) and D?

Yes, you can use any form of the equation of a line to find the equation passing through A and D. Point-slope form, which is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1,y1) is one of the points on the line, can also be used. In this case, we would substitute the coordinates of A for (x1,y1) and the slope between A and D for m. The resulting equation will be the same as the one found using the slope-intercept form.

4. How do I know if the line passing through A(-5,-4) and B is parallel to the line passing through A and C?

To determine if two lines are parallel, we need to compare their slopes. If the slopes are equal, the lines are parallel. Using the slope formula, we can find the slope of the line passing through A and B, and the slope of the line passing through A and C. If the two slopes are equal, then the lines are parallel.

5. What is the relationship between the equations of the lines passing through A(-5,-4) and B, and A and D?

The equations of the lines passing through A(-5,-4) and B, and A and D, will have different slopes and y-intercepts, but they will both pass through the point A. This means that the two lines are not parallel, but they do intersect at the point A. The relationship between the equations is that both equations represent lines passing through the same point, but with different slopes and y-intercepts.