Equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit

In summary, the author found the radius of a stable orbit for a planet with angular momentum. They found that the orbit is stable in the sense that a small radial nudge will cause only small radial oscillations. They found the equation of simple harmonic oscillation in the radial direction and solved for the frequency of the oscillations. The frequency found for the radial oscillations is equal to the orbital frequency.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

A) By examining the effective potential energy find the radius at which a planet with angular momentum L can orbit the sun in a circular orbit with fixed r (I have done this already)

B) Show that the orbit is stable in the sense that a small radial nudge will cause only small radial oscillations. [look at d^2U/dr^2] and show that the period of oscillations is equal to the planets orbital period.

Homework Equations

Ueff = -Gm1m2/r + L2/(2μr2)

ω = L/μr2

ϒ = Gm1m2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
It is easy to find the radius of stable orbit:

dU/dt = γ/r2 - L2/(μr3) = 0

r = L2/(γr3)

I can also show that the orbit is stable

d2U/dt2 = γ/r3 > 0 so the radius above is a minimum.

The first derivative being zero also allows me to write

γ = L2/(μr)

which means that

T2 = 4π2μr3

Which matches the equation derived in the text for the period of any bound orbit with constant angular momentum.

The problem! :

I am supposed to find the equation of simple harmonic oscillation in the radial direction, show that the oscillations are small, and show that the period of the radial oscillations is equal to the orbital period. I am at a loss as to how to do this. The last equation which might be relevant is

r(Φ) = 1/(1+εcosΦ) where ε is the eccentricity, which is zero for a circular orbit but obviously not quite zero for a circular orbit that has been given a 'small radial nudge'

I think I have done enough work correctly to get credit for this problem, but I want the correct answer very badly. Can anyone suggest an approach?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I did a little more work with 'the radial equation':

μr⋅⋅ = d/dr(U)

= γ/r2 - L2/μr3

L2 = μ2r4ω2

which implies

r⋅⋅ = γ/r2 - ω2r

Which looks a lot like a differential equation which gives simple harmonic motion except for the γ term.

Now, when dU/dr = 0 which is the condition that I used to find the radius, γ = L2/(μr0) where r0 is the stable orbit radius found in the first part.

So

r⋅⋅ = ω2r2/r0 - ω2r

Soooooo what do I do with this? How do I derive and SHO equation which shows the small oscillations asked for and has the correct period?

Just need someone to point out what I'm missing or give me the last step I think

Okay I got it. Start with radial equation and let r = r0 + α where α << r0. Then do a Taylor expansion about r0 and the first derivative of U is zero, the second is known.
You end up with the equation of an oscillator and you can read off the frequency without even solving the differential equation.
Its also true for any SHO that the frequency is equal to the second serivative of potential devided by the mass.

The frequency found for the radial oscillations is equal to the orbital frequency (as is true for all bounded Kepler orbits)

Thanks guys, good talk

1. What is the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit?

The equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit is given by the second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In the case of a stable orbit, the force is equal to the centripetal force, which is given by F = mv^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the orbit.

2. How is the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit derived?

The equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. In the case of an object in a stable orbit, the net force is equal to the centripetal force, which is provided by the gravitational force between the object and the central body it is orbiting.

3. What is the significance of the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit?

The equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of objects in stable orbits. It helps us determine the forces acting on the object and how those forces affect its motion. This equation is also fundamental in the study of celestial mechanics and is used to calculate the orbits of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

4. Can the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit be applied to all types of orbits?

Yes, the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit can be applied to all types of orbits, as long as the orbit is stable. This includes circular, elliptical, and even parabolic or hyperbolic orbits. However, for non-stable orbits, such as those of comets or asteroids, additional factors such as atmospheric drag and perturbations from other objects must be taken into account.

5. How does the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit relate to Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

The equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit is derived from Kepler's second law, which states that a planet sweeps out equal areas in equal times as it orbits around the sun. This law is based on the conservation of angular momentum, which is reflected in the equation of motion for oscillations about a stable orbit. Furthermore, the equation of motion is also used to calculate the orbital period, which is the basis for Kepler's third law, stating that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.