Equation of plane containing 2 lines.

In summary: The lines are parallel to the x axis.In summary, for the first problem, the lines are skew and there is no equation for a plane containing both lines. For the second problem, the lines are coincident and there is no equation for a plane containing both lines. For the third problem, the lines are parallel and there is no equation for a plane containing both lines.
bigbk92
Find the equation of the plane containing each set of lines with symmetric equations below, if no equation exists, prove it.
1. (x-3)/2 = (y+1)/4 = (z-2)/-1

(x-3)/2 = (y+1)/-2 = (z-3)/2

2. (x-1) = (y+3)/2 = (z+3)/3

(x-3)/3 = (y-1)/6 = (z-3)/9

3. (x-2)/2 = y/5 = (z+3)/6

(x-4)/4 = (y+1)/10 = (z+1)/12

I put the equations in parametric form
1. x = 2t + 3 y = 4t - 1 z = -t +2
x = 5s +3 y = -2s - 1 z = 2s + 3

2. x = t + 1 y = 2t - 3 z = 3t -3
x = 3s + 3 y = 6s +1 z = 9s + 3

3.x = 2t + 2 y = 5t z = 6t - 3
x = 4s + 4 y = 10s - 1 z = 12s - 1

Number 1

using both equations for y and z i solved for s and t. s = -2/3 and t = 1/3. But when s and t are subsituted in the x parmetric equations the values of x are not equal. x = 11/3 for one and 1/3 for another. My question is would this mean the lines are skew and if the lines are skew does that mean there is no equation of a plane that contains both lines.

Number 2

When I equate the eqauation for y to each other and the equations for z to each other and then solve for one of the variables s or t I run into a problem. The equated values to solve for one variable are equal. For example when solving for s i end up with 9s+6 = 9s+6 which is equivalent to 1 = 1. Unsure what that meant i used the dot product of the v vector for each line and found that the angle between the lines is 90 degrees making them perpendicular. My question is there an equation for the plane containing both of these lines. I don't think there is because taking the cross product of the v vectors to find the normal results in all zeros [0,0,0]. That means for any r0 the plane is 0 = 0.

Number 3

I equate the equations of y's together and the equations of z together to find values for t and s. When I would solve for a variable, the variable would cancel out of the equation. For example when solving for s i end up with 12s - 6/5 = 12s +4. This cancels out the s and leaves me with -6/5 = 4. I am not sure how to interpret what that means. So i used the dot product to find the angle between the lines and found that it was 0 degrees. I am pretty sure the lines would intersect at every point then. I can easily find the normal by taking the cross product of the v vectors but what i need to also find for the equation of a plane is a point on that plane. So my question is how would I find a point that lies on the plane that contains both of these lines.

Any help is greatly appreciated because i am stumped on this problem. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the lines do not intersect given your parametric equations, because the intersection in the y-z project does not correspond to the same x value. Because the lines intersect in the y-z projection, they are not parallel, therefore they are skew. There is probably a typo in your second set of original equalities for this problem, should "(x-3)/2" be "(x-3)/5"?

2. In that situation, the lines are coincident as far as the y-z projection is concerned. The inferred relationship between t and s can be assessed in the remaining coordinate. I don't find them to be perpendicular.

3. The absence of a solution in that case means that the lines do not meet in the y-z projection (and therefore the 3-space lines also do not meet). They are not necessarily parallel in 3-space though - the x ordinate can be checked against y or z to establish that.

1. What is the equation of a plane containing two lines?

The equation of a plane containing two lines can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms respectively, and D is a constant term. This equation represents all the points that lie on the plane and are also on both of the given lines.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane containing two intersecting lines?

If the two lines intersect, the equation of the plane can be found by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines. This will give you the normal vector to the plane, which can then be used to write the equation in the form mentioned above.

3. Can the equation of a plane containing two parallel lines be found?

Yes, the equation of a plane containing two parallel lines can also be found. In this case, the normal vector to the plane will be perpendicular to both of the given lines. This can be determined by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines and setting it equal to the normal vector in the plane equation.

4. How many solutions exist for the equation of a plane containing two lines?

The equation of a plane containing two lines can have either one or infinitely many solutions. If the two lines intersect, then there will be one unique plane that contains both lines. However, if the two lines are parallel, then there will be infinitely many planes that contain both lines.

5. Can the equation of a plane containing two lines be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane containing two lines can also be written in parametric or vector form. In parametric form, the equation would be written as x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt, where x0 and y0 are known points on the plane, and a and b are the direction vectors of the two lines. In vector form, the equation would be written as r = r0 + su + tv, where r0 is a known point on the plane, and u and v are the direction vectors of the two lines.