Equation of the Line....6

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary: Wow! That was quick! I tried using the QUICK LATEX box but it is not working on my phone. Where is the LaTex lesson page for the RTCNTC?The LaTex lesson page for the RTCNTC is located at this link:The LaTeX lesson page for the RTCNTC is located at this link:
mathdad
Find an equation of the line that is // to 4x + 5y = 20 and passes through the point (0,0). Write your answer in two forms: y = mx + b and Ax + By + C = 0.

The equation we want is parallel to the given equation. This means the slope is the same.

Steps:

1. Solve the given equation for y.

2. The slope is the coefficient of x in the equation found in step 1.

3. Plug the slope and the point (0,0) into the point-slope formula and solve for y.

4. Also write the equation of the line in the form
Ax + By + C = 0.

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose we generalize the problem to finding a line parallel to $Ax+By=C$ which passes through $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$

Note: \(\displaystyle B\ne0\)

We can readily see that all lines of the form $Ax+By=k$ where $k\in\mathbb{R}$ will be parallel to the given line. So, in order to determine $k$, we can write:

\(\displaystyle Ax_1+By_1=k\)

Thus, our line is:

\(\displaystyle Ax+By=Ax_1+By_1\)

or:

\(\displaystyle Ax+By+\left(-Ax_1-By_1\right)=0\)

And in slope-intercept form, this is:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{Ax_1+By_1}{B}\)

Now we have formulas to use for this kind of problem. (Yes)

MarkFL said:
Suppose we generalize the problem to finding a line parallel to $Ax+By=C$ which passes through $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$

We can readily see that all lines of the form $Ax+By=k$ where $k\in\mathbb{R}$ will be parallel to the given line. So, in order to determine $k$, we can write:

\(\displaystyle Ax_1+By_1=k\)

Thus, our line is:

\(\displaystyle Ax+By=Ax_1+By_1\)

or:

\(\displaystyle Ax+By+\left(-Ax_1-By_1\right)=0\)

And in slope-intercept form, this is:

Now we have formulas to use for this kind of problem. (Yes)

Cool but are my steps incorrect?

RTCNTC said:
Cool but are my steps incorrect?

Let's use the generalized problem, and follow your steps...

1. Solve the given equation for y.

I would state the first step as:

1.) Express the given equation in slope-intercept form.

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{C}{B}\)

2. The slope is the coefficient of x in the equation found in step 1.

We then identify the slope as:

\(\displaystyle m=-\frac{A}{B}\)

3. Plug the slope and the point $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$ into the point-slope formula and solve for y.

Again, instead of "solve for $y$" I would use "express in slope-intercept form."

\(\displaystyle y-y_1=-\frac{A}{B}\left(x-x_1\right)\)

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{Ax_1+By_1}{B}\quad\checkmark\)

4. Also write the equation of the line in the form
Ax + By + C = 0.

\(\displaystyle By=-Ax+Ax_1+By_1\)

\(\displaystyle Ax+By+\left(-Ax_1-By_1\right)=0\quad\checkmark\)

As you can see, we have the same formulas.

What is A, B, x_1 and y_1 in your method?

RTCNTC said:
What is A, B, x_1 and y_1 in your method?

They come from the generalized problem:

MarkFL said:

MarkFL said:
They come from the generalized problem:

I am preparing a reply to your answers in our PM discussion. I will work on this question when time allows. I am off tomorrow and Tuesday. A little break from work.

Some of you may ask: WHAT DOES RTCNTC do on his days off? If you said MATH, you are right. Why not math? I have no girlfriend, my family is scattered, no one wants to date a fat, bald headed, 52 year old middle-aged man. So, math is good for me. lol

RTCNTC said:
Some of you may ask: WHAT DOES RTCNTC do on his days off?

My main question regarding RTCNTC is:

When is he going to start using $\LaTeX$?

haha-no-seriously-thumb.jpg

I will do my best to start using LaTex.

MarkFL said:
My main question regarding RTCNTC is:

When is he going to start using $\LaTeX$?

Can you show me how to solve this problem using the generalized formulas? I am confused about what to plug into the formulas.

RTCNTC said:
Can you show me how to solve this problem using the generalized formulas? I am confused about what to plug into the formulas.

Okay, we have derived the formulas:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{Ax_1+By_1}{B}\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle Ax+By+\left(-Ax_1-By_1\right)=0\tag{2}\)

We are given the line:

\(\displaystyle 4x+5y=20\)

and the point:

\(\displaystyle (0,0)\)

And so we identify:

\(\displaystyle A=4,\,B=5,\,C=20,\,x_1=0,\,y_0=0\)

Plugging these values into (1), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{4}{5}x+0\)

And into (2), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 4x+5y+0=0\)

MarkFL said:
Okay, we have derived the formulas:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{Ax_1+By_1}{B}\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle Ax+By+\left(-Ax_1-By_1\right)=0\tag{2}\)

We are given the line:

\(\displaystyle 4x+5y=20\)

and the point:

\(\displaystyle (0,0)\)

And so we identify:

\(\displaystyle A=4,\,B=5,\,C=20,\,x_1=0,\,y_0=0\)

Plugging these values into (1), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{4}{5}x+0\)

And into (2), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 4x+5y+0=0\)

Wow! That was quick! I tried using the QUICK LATEX box but it is not working on my phone. Where is the LaTex lesson page for the MHB?

RTCNTC said:
Wow! That was quick! I tried using the QUICK LATEX box but it is not working on my phone. Where is the LaTex lesson page for the MHB?

Are you sure the cursor is in the post editor when you click the commands/symbols in the Quick $\LaTeX$?

I will post a question using the Quick LaTex just for practice.

MarkFL said:
Are you sure the cursor is in the post editor when you click the commands/symbols in the Quick $\LaTeX$?

Still wondering about this...(Wondering)

MarkFL said:
Still wondering about this...(Wondering)

I click the QUICK LATEX symbol that I need to use. It appears in the reply box but not when posting my reply.

RTCNTC said:
I click the QUICK LATEX symbol that I need to use. It appears in the reply box but not when posting my reply.

You click a symbol/command, and it appears in the editor, but when you post your reply, it disappears?

MarkFL said:
You click a symbol/command, and it appears in the editor, but when you post your reply, it disappears?

Yes.

RTCNTC said:
Yes.

Are you sure you're talking about the editor, and not the $\LaTeX$ Live Preview?

I click on the Commands for what I need. The symbol appears in the reply box but after clicking submit, the LaTex form does not display.

RTCNTC said:
I click on the Commands for what I need. The symbol appears in the reply box but after clicking submit, the LaTex form does not display.

Are you wrapping the code in [MATH][/MATH] tags?

MarkFL said:
Are you wrapping the code in [MATH][/MATH] tags?

No. Can you explain how this is done?

RTCNTC said:
No. Can you explain how this is done?

The easiest way is to first click the \(\displaystyle \sum\) button on the editor toolbar, and once you click that the [MATH][/MATH] tags will be added to your post content at the current cursor location, and the cursor will be in between the tags, ready for you to add your code. :)

MarkFL said:
The easiest way is to first click the \(\displaystyle \sum\) button on the editor toolbar, and once you click that the [MATH][/MATH] tags will be added to your post content at the current cursor location, and the cursor will be in between the tags, ready for you to add your code. :)

Let me try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me try e^x.

\(\displaystyle e^{x}\)

- - - Updated - - -

It works!

Let me try again.

I will try e^(x + 1).

\(\displaystyle e^{x + 1}\)

gallery_298_17_1836.gif

Moving on.....

RTCNTC said:
Moving on.....

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4900/364bb/products/127384/images/91828/264870__90461.1342529542.380.500.jpg?c=2

I will post two daily questions only. In so doing, I can spend more time per question. As you know, some of these David Cohen questions are very involved.

What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a coordinate plane. It is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How do you find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know two points that the line passes through. Then you can use the slope formula (m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) to find the slope, and plug in the slope and one of the points into the equation y = mx + b to solve for b. Once you have the slope and y-intercept, you can write the equation of the line.

What does the slope of a line represent?

The slope of a line represents the change in the y-coordinate divided by the change in the x-coordinate between two points on the line. It can also be thought of as the steepness of the line. A positive slope indicates a line that is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope indicates a line that is decreasing from left to right.

What is the y-intercept of a line?

The y-intercept of a line is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It is represented by the value of b in the equation y = mx + b. This point has an x-coordinate of 0, and the y-coordinate is equal to b.

Can you have a horizontal or vertical line with an equation of y = mx + b?

Yes, it is possible to have both horizontal and vertical lines with an equation in the form y = mx + b. A horizontal line will have a slope of 0 and a vertical line will have an undefined slope. In both cases, the y-intercept will still be represented by the value of b in the equation.