Equation of the Normal and Ellipses Questions

In summary, you need to determine the point at which the normal line at $(-1,\,1)$ intersects the ellipse the second time.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_13.jpg

For 1a, I used implicit differentiation and isolated dy/dx.

This gave me the following answer:

dy/dx = (-3x^2 -4y)/(4x+12y)

Which I then used for 1b and substituted (1,1) for x and y respectively to compute:

y-1= (-7/16) * (x-1)

As for 2, the normal is perpindicular to the tangent line and is thus the negative reciprocal. Thus, if the tangent line's slope is 1, the normal is -1/1= -1.

Thus, I used that for the equation of the line through (-1,1) to get:

(1,-1) (and the other point was already given by the question)

This was obtained by using y=-x as the equation and then substituting x=-y into the x^2 + y^2 = 1 elipse expression to get x^2=1. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
For 1a, I used implicit differentiation and isolated dy/dx.

This gave me the following answer:

dy/dx = (-3x^2 -4y)/(4x+12y)

Which I then used for 1b and substituted (1,1) for x and y respectively to compute:

y-1= (-7/16) * (x-1)

Correct for both a and b part.

ardentmed said:
As for 2, the normal is perpindicular to the tangent line and is thus the negative reciprocal. Thus, if the tangent line's slope is 1, the normal is -1/1= -1.

Thus, I used that for the equation of the line through (-1,1) to get:

(1,-1) (and the other point was already given by the question)

This was obtained by using y=-x as the equation and then substituting x=-y into the x^2 + y^2 = 1 elipse expression to get x^2=1. Thanks in advance.

You've figured out everything correctly so far and now, since solving for $x^2=1$ gives $x=\pm1$, you've to answer the last part of the problem 2 by determining at which point the normal line at $(-1,\,1)$ intersects the ellipse the second time. Can you see how proceed?

anemone said:
Correct for both a and b part.
You've figured out everything correctly so far and now, since solving for $x^2=1$ gives $x=\pm1$, you've to answer the last part of the problem 2 by determining at which point the normal line at $(-1,\,1)$ intersects the ellipse the second time. Can you see how proceed?

No, I don't quite get it. Isn't the final answer just (1,-1)?
Thanks in advance.

1. What is the equation of a normal?

The equation of a normal is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a point on a curve and the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How is the normal equation different from the equation of a tangent?

The normal equation is perpendicular to the tangent line at any given point on a curve. It is calculated by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line.

3. What is the general form of the equation of an ellipse?

The general form of the equation of an ellipse is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1, where a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

4. How do you find the foci of an ellipse?

The foci of an ellipse can be found by using the equation c2 = a2 - b2, where c is the distance from the center of the ellipse to each focus.

5. Can the equation of an ellipse be written in standard form?

Yes, the equation of an ellipse can be written in standard form as (x - h)2/a2 + (y - k)2/b2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.