1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of the Osculating circle

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ellipse has equations x = 2cos(t) and y = 3sin(t) where 0 <= t <= 2*pi
    The problem asked me to calculate the curvature at points (2,0) and (0,3). I did that, but now the problem asks what the equation of the osculating circle is at each of those points. I know the radius of curvature of each of those points since I already calculated the curvature. But I'm not sure how to figure out where the center of the osculating circle needs to be.

2. Relevant equations
    I used this equation for calculating curvature of a parametric curve: http://math.info/image/58/curvature_parametric.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the radius of the osculating circle is equal to the radius of curvature. To find the center of the osculating circle, move from the curve a distance equal the radius along the direction of the principle normal (the direction of the normal component of acceleration).

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your response. Before you replied I thought of something. Tell me if it's a valid argument. Since the graph of this parametric is symmetrical, and both my points are on either the y or x axis, wouldn't the center of the osculating circle be on the x or y axis? So I could just subtract the radius from 2 for the first one and 3 for the second one. Is that valid? For example: the point (2,0) had a radius of curvature of 27/6. I could subtract that from 2 and get -5/2. So the center would be -5/2. Is that correct?

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct. Luckily, you have points where the direction of the normal is easy.

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5
    I hope my instructor doesn't dock me points for taking a shortcut haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted