Solve 400sinA + 500cosA = 600: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter strokebow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation 400sinA + 500cosA = 600 and provides a step-by-step explanation of how to find the value of A. It also mentions a possible second answer and raises questions about the relevance of the equation to a statics problem.
strokebow
Can anyone tell me how to solve...

400sinA + 500cosA = 600

Just doing some statics problems and for one of 'em I needed to find A. Can anyone tell me how its done.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First you need to know that sin(A+ B)= sin(A)cos(B)+ cos(A)sin(B) for any A, B. Because we obviously can't have cos(B)= 400 and sin(B)= 500 (sin and cos values are always <= 1), multiply that entire equation by C: Csin(A+ B)= Csin(A)cos(B)+ Ccos(A)sin(B). You want to find C and B so that C cos(B)= 400 and C sin(B)= 500. Since sin2(B)+ cos2(B)= 1, C2 cos2(B)+ C2sin2(B)= C2= (400)2+ (500)2= 160000+ 250000= 410000. C2= 410000 so [itex]C= \sqrt{410000}= 100\sqrt{41}[/itex]. Now you know that [itex]C cos(B)= 100\sqrt{41}cos(B)= 400 so [itex]cos(B)= 4/\sqrt{41}[/itex]. [itex]B= arccos(4/\sqrt{41})[/itex] so we now have
[tex]100\sqrt{41} sin(A+ arccos(4/\sqrt{41})= 600[/tex]
[tex]sin(A+ arccos(4/\sqt{41})= 6/\sqrt{41}[/tex]
so [itex]A+ arccos(4/\sqrt{41})= arcsin(6/\sqrt{41})[/itex] and, finally,
[tex]A= arcsin(6/\sqrt{41})- arccos(4/\sqrt{41})[/tex]
According to my calculator, that is about 0.318.

Using [tex]sin(x)=\sqrt{1-cox^2(x)}[/tex] I arrived also at a second answer, x=1.0315.

I'm not sure your static problem would lead to that equation. Sum of forces in x direction equal 0 and likewise in y. Your equation implies adding an x component and a y component. Once again I don't know what the problem is so I could be wrong.

waht said:
I'm not sure your static problem would lead to that equation. Sum of forces in x direction equal 0 and likewise in y. Your equation implies adding an x component and a y component. Once again I don't know what the problem is so I could be wrong.

Huh, I think he is adding moments of forces.

1. How do I solve for A in the equation 400sinA + 500cosA = 600?

To solve for A, we can use the trigonometric identity cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB. We can rewrite the equation as 400sinA + 500cosA = 600 as 400sinA + 500cosA - 600 = 0. Then, we can substitute A-B for A and solve for B. Once we have the value of B, we can solve for A by taking the inverse cosine of both sides of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of the trigonometric identity cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB in solving the equation 400sinA + 500cosA = 600?

The trigonometric identity cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB allows us to simplify the equation by rewriting it in a form that is easier to solve. By substituting A-B for A in the equation 400sinA + 500cosA = 600, we can solve for B and then use the value of B to find the value of A.

3. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a calculator. You can use the built-in trigonometric functions on a scientific calculator to find the values of sinA and cosA. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the value of A.

4. Are there any tips for solving this equation more efficiently?

One tip is to use the trigonometric identity cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB to simplify the equation before solving for A. Another tip is to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to make sure it satisfies the equation.

5. Can this equation be solved for multiple values of A?

Yes, this equation can be solved for multiple values of A. Since the cosine function is periodic, there will be infinitely many solutions for A. You can use the general solution for cosine function, A = 2nπ ± cos-1(600/500), where n is an integer, to find all possible values of A.