Equations for Human Body Movement: Can Anyone Help?

In summary: Thanks to all the experts here .. It does seem like a pretty intricate subject! I think I'll start with some self-study and see where that takes me. Thanks again!In summary, the equations of human body movement can be difficult to figure out, but with some study and experimentation, it should be possible to create a model of a human walk.
Sara_So
please can anyone help me to figure out the equations of human body movement ( walk )

I am in need so badly ..

Best Wishes

Physics news on Phys.org
Sara_So said:
please can anyone help me to figure out the equations of human body movement ( walk )

I am in need so badly ..

Best Wishes

What is the context of your question? What is the application?

It is so complicated that we still use motion capture tech in all the blockbuster video games and movies.

I want them to model the human body in walk mode for a computer graphic project

thanks a lot for replying ..

Sara_So said:
I want them to model the human body in walk mode for a computer graphic project thanks a lot for replying ..

Even the most expensive programs such as Maya and 3D studio max do not come with an engine that can do this yet. In other words there is no equation. The way developers do it is by playing around with it until it looks good, but it never looks as good as motion capture.

You could download a motion capture function, but there will be no equation behind it.

ok.. it seems so difficult
how can i use the motion capture ? if you can tell me please ..

You should be able to find what you are looking for free here:
http://accad.osu.edu/research/mocap/mocap_data.htm

These files should work with most graphic programs

Thank you very much ..

Looks like I've got some work to do :P

Doesn't seem too hard in principle...

Each joint has a maximum of 2 angular values associated with its configuration- I count about 14 important joints used in walking (wrists,elbows,shoulders,neck; torso, upper legs-pelvis, knees, ankles). The walking motion should be roughly captured in a time-evolution of these ~28 parameters. Assuming each one is sinusoidal (and therefore has 3 parameters: amplitude, frequency and relative phase) you will have 28*3 - 1 total parameters if you define eg. the neck to be phase 0.

The hard part I guess would be illustrating that your results are correct since a bunch of numbers is hard to compare to the actual walking motion! I guess you will just study a human walk and a few simple measurements should give you the answers.

MikeyW said:
Doesn't seem too hard in principle...

Each joint has a maximum of 2 angular values associated with its configuration- I count about 14 important joints used in walking (wrists,elbows,shoulders,neck; torso, upper legs-pelvis, knees, ankles). The walking motion should be roughly captured in a time-evolution of these ~28 parameters. Assuming each one is sinusoidal (and therefore has 3 parameters: amplitude, frequency and relative phase) you will have 28*3 - 1 total parameters if you define eg. the neck to be phase 0.

The hard part I guess would be illustrating that your results are correct since a bunch of numbers is hard to compare to the actual walking motion! I guess you will just study a human walk and a few simple measurements should give you the answers.

you simplify the idea in nice way :)

but can you help me to find the equations of those joints ??

Sara_So said:
you simplify the idea in nice way :)

but can you help me to find the equations of those joints ??

Try to think about the interdependence of these joints. For example, you can move your neck independently from your wrist, but surely it is easier to bring your knee towards your chest if your knee itself is bent (ie. kneeling and bending forward, compared to having straight forward legs and bending forward!).

Of course this varies between humans, depends on muscle "temperature" (ie. ROM is greater if you have warmed up), and also on time (so you can kick higher than you can keep your leg held up because the muscle has some elasticity). After this you might even factor in geometry arguments and constraints such as balance (keeping the centre of mass in a position that the legs provide sufficient torque to prevent a fall!).

It is tricky but sounds like an interesting project! I think it comes under biomechanics (which I have never studied... so I advice you check out some textbooks before you listen to me)

I am greatful ..

Thank you every one (F)..

Related to Equations for Human Body Movement: Can Anyone Help?

What are human body movement equations?

Human body movement equations are mathematical equations that describe the motion of the human body. They take into account factors such as velocity, acceleration, and force to accurately model the movement of different body parts.

Why do we use equations to study human body movement?

Equations are used to study human body movement because they provide a quantitative and precise way to analyze and understand the complex motions of the body. They also allow for accurate predictions of how the body will move under different conditions.

What are some common applications of human body movement equations?

Human body movement equations have many applications in fields such as sports science, rehabilitation, and biomechanics. They are used to analyze and improve athletic performance, design prosthetic devices, and understand the mechanics of human movement.

How are human body movement equations derived?

Human body movement equations are derived from principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. They also take into account the specific anatomical and physiological characteristics of the human body, such as joint structure and muscle mechanics.

Can human body movement equations be used to predict injury?

While human body movement equations can provide insights into the forces and stresses placed on the body during movement, they alone cannot predict injury. Other factors such as individual differences, external factors, and technique also play a role in injury risk.