Equicontinuity related proof

• Thread starter robertdeniro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Basically, right, right. If |m| is unbounded then given a fixed epsilon, the only delta that would satisfy |m|*delta<epsilon for all m is delta=0. But you want a delta>0.
robertdeniro

Homework Statement

let A represent the family of linear functions (ie. mx+b) on [0, 1] with distinct slopes

show that if A is equicontinuous, then the absolute value of the slopes are bounded, that is |m|<=C, for all functions in A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

equicontinuous means for given e>0, can find &>0 such that |f(x)-f(y)|<e for |x-y|<&

|f(x)-f(y)|=|m(x-y)|<e

if i divide through by |(x-y)| then I am in trouble, since x and y could be arbitrary close

any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to divide through by |x-y|? Divide both sides of the epsilon equation by |m|. Now how should epsilon be related to delta?

oh i was trying to isolate |m|

so if i do what u said i would get |x-y|<e/|m|, but we know |x-y|<&...

not sure what to do from here

robertdeniro said:
oh i was trying to isolate |m|

so if i do what u said i would get |x-y|<e/|m|, but we know |x-y|<&...

not sure what to do from here

What's the relation between epsilon and delta you get from that for that single function with slope m?

Dick said:
What's the relation between epsilon and delta you get from that for that single function with slope m?

sorry, i must be missing something really obvious here

i have |x-y|<e/|m| and |x-y|<&

but i cannot see a relationship between e and &

robertdeniro said:
sorry, i must be missing something really obvious here

i have |x-y|<e/|m| and |x-y|<&

but i cannot see a relationship between e and &

The definition of continuity says you are supposed to be able to choose a delta such that if |x-y|<delta then |f(x)-f(y)|<epsilon. Remember? You have that |f(x)-f(y)|<|m||x-y| which is then <|m|*delta, right? To make sure that's less than epsilon, you want to choose a delta such that |m|*delta<epsilon. Right, right? If you want to skip to the chase and equicontinuity, if you want to pick a single delta for all members of your family, what happens if |m| is unbounded? Can you pick such delta?

Dick said:
The definition of continuity says you are supposed to be able to choose a delta such that if |x-y|<delta then |f(x)-f(y)|<epsilon. Remember? You have that |f(x)-f(y)|<|m||x-y| which is then <|m|*delta, right? To make sure that's less than epsilon, you want to choose a delta such that |m|*delta<epsilon. Right, right? If you want to skip to the chase and equicontinuity, if you want to pick a single delta for all members of your family, what happens if |m| is unbounded? Can you pick such delta?

ohhhhh...

if |m| is unbounded then i can't pick such delta because |m|*delta would also be unbounded

right? right?

robertdeniro said:
ohhhhh...

if |m| is unbounded then i can't pick such delta because |m|*delta would also be unbounded

right? right?

Basically, right, right. If |m| is unbounded then given a fixed epsilon, the only delta that would satisfy |m|*delta<epsilon for all m is delta=0. But you want a delta>0.

What is equicontinuity?

Equicontinuity is a property of a set of functions where all the functions are continuous at the same point. This means that for any given point, the functions in the set have the same limit as the point approaches.

How is equicontinuity related to proofs?

Equicontinuity is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a set of functions is continuous. It allows for a simpler and more concise proof, as compared to proving the continuity of each individual function in the set.

What is the importance of equicontinuity in mathematics?

Equicontinuity is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for the generalization of continuity for a set of functions. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

How can equicontinuity be proved?

Equicontinuity can be proved using the definition of continuity, which states that a function is continuous if the limit of the function at a point is equal to the value of the function at that point. Additionally, equicontinuity can also be proved using the Arzelà–Ascoli theorem, which provides a more generalized proof for a set of functions.

What are some common examples of equicontinuous sets of functions?

Some common examples of equicontinuous sets of functions include polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These sets are often used in mathematical proofs and have practical applications in various fields.