How do I Calculate the Equilibrium Constant for the Formation of AlF6^3-?

• Thread starter dx/dy=?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of the equilibrium constant for the formation of the complex ion AlF6^3-. The individual asking the question is struggling to get the correct answer and is seeking help from others. After receiving advice to always use units, they realize that their initial calculation was incorrect and are able to arrive at the correct answer of K=3.5*10^25.
dx/dy=?
Equilibrium Frustration...

Ive been going over a chem paper and cannot seem to get any of the multiple choice given answers,

the question is as follows,

The free energy change for the formation of the complex ion [tex] AlF_6^3-[/tex] is -140. kJ at 25ºC. What is the equilibrium constant, K, for the reaction?

Ive got:

deltaG = -RT InK

hence,

-140 = -(8.3145)(298.15) InK

hence,

InK = -140 + (8.3145)(298.15)

InK = 2338.0

but this gives a value of K=0, which can't be correct, or if it is, the answer does not appear in the choices in my paper.

Any ideas,

Can anyone see where I am going wrong?

Thanks for your time.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Match the units you use.
The value of the gas constant here is in Joules/(K*mol)
In the left hand side of the equation you used the value of deltaG in Kilo Joules.

Like Sid said, ALWAYS USE UNITS! UNITS! UNITS! The problem you are having is easy to spot when you simply use units.

And in addition to the problem with the units, how do you get K=0 from ln(K) = 2338 ?

I got k=0 because,

[tex] In(K) = 2338[/tex]
and,
e^In(K) = K
hence;
e^2330 = 0

Anyways,

I relooked over the problem, and it seems that i was simply not rearranging the values correctly. (Boy, did I feel super dopey!)
I ended up with the right answer in the end.
K = 3.5*10^25
I think it was from memory.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:

FAQ: How do I Calculate the Equilibrium Constant for the Formation of AlF6^3-?

1. What is equilibrium frustration?

Equilibrium frustration is a phenomenon that occurs when a system is unable to reach a state of equilibrium, resulting in continued and persistent fluctuations or imbalances.

2. What causes equilibrium frustration?

Equilibrium frustration can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external disturbances, changes in the system's parameters, or the presence of multiple equilibrium states.

3. How does equilibrium frustration impact systems?

Equilibrium frustration can have significant impacts on systems, including hindering their ability to reach a stable state or causing them to exhibit unpredictable and chaotic behavior.

4. Is equilibrium frustration a common occurrence?

Yes, equilibrium frustration is a common phenomenon in many natural and artificial systems. It is often studied in physics, chemistry, and biology, as well as in fields such as economics and social sciences.

5. Can equilibrium frustration be overcome?

In some cases, equilibrium frustration can be overcome by adjusting the system's parameters or introducing external controls. However, in complex systems, it may be difficult to completely eliminate equilibrium frustration.