Equilibrium of a uniform bar inclined at an angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 5K views
I've got the sum of forces in y and the moments. Just don't have the sum of forces in x.

Are the ones I have correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let you work this problem out the most obvious way for now .

There is a more elegant method possible - perhaps we'll look at that later if you are interested .
 
Use the diagram in post #16 as a basis for doing a clear free body diagram for the bar .

Show us the three equations that you should now have and , if possible , your final solution .
 
I already drew the free body diagram on the basis of post 16 and attached it in one of my previous posts and I already mentioned the 2 equations I get from the forces in the y direction and the moment around A, just doing it for the x direction now and that should give me the answer.
 
Solved! Thank you
 
Attachments
  • 13840496_10154331807093838_1704642498_o.jpg
    13840496_10154331807093838_1704642498_o.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 454
Nidum said:
Good !
I know this is from a few months ago, but why do the normal vectors at C and A break up into components?
 
I don't think this is right. The normal at A and C don't break up into components and what direction is the normal at A?