Equilibrium of Two Rods: Finding the Point of Toppling

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


Weight of AB = CD = 200 N
Length of AB = 3 m
Length of CD = 2 m
A boy moves from point A toward B. At what distance from point A the rod will topple?
a. 0.4 m b. 0.5 m c. 0.6 m d. 1 m e. 2 m
untitled-6.jpg



Homework Equations


Newton's law
torque


The Attempt at a Solution


When rod AB topples, the normal force at B = normal force at C = 0 right?

Will there be normal force at point A? Where should I take the pivot?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the boy's weight?
The rod AB topples only when DC does it. It happens when the torque of the weight of DC around E can not balance the torque arising from the other rod. In that case the support C does not exert force. Put the pivot of rod DC at E.

ehild
 
ehild said:
What is the boy's weight?
The rod AB topples only when DC does it. It happens when the torque of the weight of DC around E can not balance the torque arising from the other rod. In that case the support C does not exert force. Put the pivot of rod DC at E.

ehild

Oh I'm sorry. The boy's weight is 600 N. Is 0.5 m the correct answer? Thanks
 
songoku said:
Oh I'm sorry. The boy's weight is 600 N. Is 0.5 m the correct answer? Thanks

I got the same. :smile:

ehild
 
ehild said:
I got the same. :smile:

ehild

Thanks for the help :)