Equivalence of Implications: P, Q, and R

• Thread starter Easy_as_Pi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed using truth tables to show logical equivalence between pairs of statements involving the variables P, Q, and R. The speaker was unsure how to correlate P and QvR in the table and was struggling with filling out the truth tables. Another person suggested considering 8 possibilities and filling in the rest for a more organized approach.
Easy_as_Pi

Homework Statement

For statements P, Q, and R, use a truth table to show that each of the following pairs of statements are logically equivalent.
a) (P^Q) <=> P and P=>Q
b) P=>(Q v R) and (~Q)=>(~P v R)

screen_capture.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached truth tables.
Basically, I have no idea how to correlate P and QvR in the table. If P is false or QvR is true, then the implication is true; I know that. I know P can only have 2 values, true or false, but QvR is only false under one condition. So, is P true or false in that slot? I can't figure out how to make the table, though.
With the second table in b, I know how Q and not Q (~Q) relate, but can't see how to relate ~Q with (~PvR). If ~Q is false or (~PvR) is true, the implication is true. Again, I know how the implication works. It's this truth table that is making this problem vastly more difficult than it needs to be. Any help on filling them out is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to fill them out in 4 rows?? That's weird.

The way I would handle it is to regard 8 possibilities:

P Q R
F F F
F F T
F T F
F T T
T F F
T F T
T T F
T T T

and fill in the rest.

Micro, you have came to rescue on a few of these problems for me. I really appreciate it. I don't think I have to fill it out in the way I did, but I was following the example in my book. None of them had three variables. Your method seems like the best. Thanks!

Related to Equivalence of Implications: P, Q, and R

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table used in logic to determine the truth values of compound statements, based on the truth values of their component parts. It shows all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs, allowing for a systematic analysis of logical arguments or expressions.

2. How do truth tables relate to implications?

Truth tables are often used to determine the validity of logical implications. In an implication, the truth of one statement (the premise) guarantees the truth of another statement (the conclusion). The truth table for an implication will only have a false output when the premise is true and the conclusion is false.

3. Can truth tables be used for more than two variables?

Yes, truth tables can be used for any number of variables. However, as the number of variables increases, the size of the truth table also increases exponentially.

4. What is the difference between a tautology and a contradiction in a truth table?

A tautology is a statement or compound statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components. In a truth table, a tautology will have a true output in every row. On the other hand, a contradiction is a statement or compound statement that is always false, regardless of the truth values of its components. In a truth table, a contradiction will have a false output in every row.

5. How can truth tables be helpful in problem solving?

Truth tables can be helpful in problem solving by providing a systematic and visual method for analyzing logical arguments and expressions. They can help identify patterns, inconsistencies, and potential errors in reasoning. Truth tables can also be used to test the validity of arguments and to determine the truth values of complex statements.