Equivalent capacitor in the circuit

In summary, the textbook says that the star delta transformation is not applicable here, and that the formulae given in the wikipedia article are general formulae.
nik jain
Find the equivalent capacitance of the combinations shown in the fig.
(refer to the file attached)

Is there any easier method to solve instead of this method by assuming a constant potiential difference is applied across the circuit and a total charge Q flown in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
this can be dne by charge distribution . and applying kirchhoffs loop law.

nik jain said:
Find the equivalent capacitance of the combinations shown in the fig.
(refer to the file attached)

Is there any easier method to solve instead of this method by assuming a constant potiential difference is applied across the circuit and a total charge Q flown in it.
No easier. Let current in top 2F cap be I1, and in top 4F cap be I2.
And current down through vertical 4F cap is I1 - I2.
etc

Solve for I´s in terms of applied voltage V and ω.

Does the textbook give the answer?

the ans is 20/7 F i think...is tht correct?

NascentOxygen said:
No easier. Let current in top 2F cap be I1, and in top 4F cap be I2.
And current down through vertical 4F cap is I1 - I2.
etc

Solve for I´s in terms of applied voltage V and ω.

Does the textbook give the answer?

So, the star delta transformation isn't applicable here?
I had a quick search on google about this. The first link directed me to this thread. Check this post by gneill in that thread, he mentioned a formula which could be of use here. Can you explain that formula NascentOxygen?

tht is nt a wheatstone bridge homework cn u apply the star delta thn?

Yes the ans. is 20/7 F and I also get it by using krichoff's law

I also want to know that can we use star to delta formation here as in this case applying of
krichoff's law is easy , but what if all the value of capacitance is different ?

nik jain said:
I also want to know that can we use star to delta formation here as in this case applying of krichoff's law is easy , but what if all the value of capacitance is different ?

The formulae given in the wikipedia article are general formulae, so their transform is applicable where the three branches are all different. On this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform under the heading Equations for the transformation from Y-load to Δ-load 3-phase circuit you are shown how to relate the impedance of each arm of Δ to that of the Y.

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif In their formula, instead of resistances, you will use impedances, remembering that the impedance of a capacitor C = (ωC)⁻¹

I tried it on your capacitor network, transforming the upside-down Y shape of the vertical capacitor and the two lower ones into a delta. This changes the network to an uncomplicated arrangement of capacitors in parallel, and in series. I got the same answer, 20/7 F :smile: :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an equivalent capacitor in a circuit?

An equivalent capacitor in a circuit refers to a single capacitor that has the same effect as a group of multiple capacitors connected in parallel or series. This simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to analyze.

How is the equivalent capacitance calculated?

The equivalent capacitance is calculated differently depending on whether the capacitors are connected in parallel or series. For parallel capacitors, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of all individual capacitances. For series capacitors, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocal of each individual capacitance.

Why is it important to find the equivalent capacitor in a circuit?

Finding the equivalent capacitor in a circuit helps to simplify the analysis of the circuit and makes it easier to calculate the overall capacitance and its effect on the circuit. It also helps to reduce the number of components in the circuit, which can save space and cost.

What happens if the capacitors in a circuit are not equivalent?

If the capacitors in a circuit are not equivalent, it can affect the overall capacitance and the behavior of the circuit. This can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially cause the circuit to malfunction or not function at all.

Can the equivalent capacitor be greater than the largest individual capacitor in the circuit?

Yes, it is possible for the equivalent capacitor to be greater than the largest individual capacitor in the circuit. This can occur when capacitors are connected in parallel, as the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of all individual capacitances.