Equivalent force-couple system (conceptual)

In summary, to find the equivalent force-couple system about point D, you need to add all the forces and moments, but if one of the forces is aligned with D and creates no moment, you can skip calculating its moment and simply add the resultant of the remaining forces on D.
jaredmt
on a 3d graph i have 3 forces in different places pointing different directions. I am supposed to find the equivalent force-couple system about some point D. but 1 of the forces is aligned with point D and therefore creates no moment about D.

how would i do this? Do i just find the moment of all the forces about point D and then put the Resultant of the 3 forces on D?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jaredmt! :smile:
jaredmt said:
on a 3d graph i have 3 forces in different places pointing different directions. I am supposed to find the equivalent force-couple system about some point D. but 1 of the forces is aligned with point D and therefore creates no moment about D.

how would i do this? Do i just find the moment of all the forces about point D and then put the Resultant of the 3 forces on D?

Yup … add all the forces, and add all the moments …

if one of them is zero, that saves you time … so have a cup of tea! :biggrin:

Yes, you are correct. In order to find the equivalent force-couple system about point D, you would first need to calculate the moment of all three forces about point D. This would give you the total moment of the forces acting on the point.

Next, you would need to find the resultant force of the three forces. This can be done by adding the three forces vectorially.

Finally, you would need to place the resultant force at point D, as it does not create any moment about that point. This would create an equivalent force-couple system at point D, with the same effect as the three original forces.

It is important to note that the resultant force should be placed at point D in such a way that it is perpendicular to the line connecting point D and the original force. This ensures that the moment of the resultant force is equal to the moment of the original forces.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an equivalent force-couple system?

An equivalent force-couple system is a system of forces and moments that produces the same external effects on a body as a given set of forces and moments. It consists of a force and a couple acting at a specific point on the body.

2. How is an equivalent force-couple system different from a regular force system?

An equivalent force-couple system differs from a regular force system in that it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of forces as well as the location of the forces on the body. It also includes the effects of moments or torque, which are rotational forces.

3. Why is the concept of an equivalent force-couple system important in mechanics?

The concept of an equivalent force-couple system is important in mechanics because it allows us to simplify complex force systems into a single equivalent system, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also helps us understand the relationship between forces and moments and their effects on a body.

4. How do you determine the equivalent force-couple system for a given force system?

To determine the equivalent force-couple system for a given force system, we first need to calculate the net force and the net moment of the system. The net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the body, and the net moment is the sum of all the moments. Then, we can use the equations for a force and a couple at a point to find the equivalent force and couple values.

5. Can an equivalent force-couple system be used for any type of force system?

Yes, an equivalent force-couple system can be used for any type of force system, as long as the forces and moments are acting on the same body. It is a general concept that can be applied to both two-dimensional and three-dimensional force systems.