Why is the equivalent force-couple system at corner D needed?

In summary, the problem involves replacing a given force-couple system at corner A with an equivalent force-couple system at corner D. To do this, the components of the moment created by force F at corner A (M1) and the components of the moment created by the same force at corner D (M2) are calculated. The final answer is found by subtracting M1 from the original moment M and adding M2 to it. This is because the total torque (and total force) should be the same in both cases. A diagram is not available, but the coordinates for points A and D, as well as the values for force F and moment M, are provided.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A 63lb force F and 560lb in couple M are applied to corner A of the block shown. Replace the given force-couple system with an equivalent force-couple system at corner D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually solved the problem but I had to guess and check. I am not sure why it works the way it worked so I was hoping somebody could explain this to me.

First i found the components of M. then I found the components of the Moment created by F by doing A X F. I called this M1
Then I put the same force at point D and did D X F giving me M2

in order to find the answer I had to do M - M1 + M2. Can someone explain why I had to do M - M1 + M2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the diagram?

The total torque (and total force) should be the same in both cases.

I don't have a way of getting a good picture of it. but i can give u this info if it helps:
A (0,7.2,4.8)
D (14.4,0,0)
F = <54,27.1,-18>
M (@ point A) = <448,-336,0>
M1 = AXF = <-259.7,259.2,-388.8>
M2 = DXF = <0,259,390.24>

Related to Why is the equivalent force-couple system at corner D needed?

1. What is a force and moment couple?

A force and moment couple refers to two equal and opposite forces acting on a body in such a way that they create a rotational force, or moment, without any resultant translation.

2. How is a moment couple different from a single force?

Unlike a single force, a moment couple does not produce any net force or translation on a body. Instead, it creates a rotational force or torque.

3. What is the equation for calculating the moment of a couple?

The moment of a couple can be calculated by multiplying one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the forces (also known as the lever arm).

4. What is the significance of a moment couple in engineering?

Moment couples are important in engineering as they can be used to stabilize structures and machines, as well as to create controlled rotations in mechanisms.

5. Can a moment couple be balanced?

No, a moment couple cannot be balanced as the forces are equal and opposite, but act at different points, creating a net moment that cannot be cancelled out.