1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Resistance of an RLC circuit

1. May 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is in the attachment.

NOTE: I supposed I did a little mistake when I drew the circuit with PSpice. The closed switch should look like .---->. instead of having that 45 angle. I don't know if it matters or not, so yea..

2. Relevant equations

Rp = (R1 * R2)/ (R1 + R2)
    Rs = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn
    α(series) = Req / (2*L)
    Wo = 1/sqrt(LC)

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, well, I'm trying to solve this second order transient circuit, but I have a problem! I can't find the correct equivalent resistance. What I do first is to remove the voltage source by a short and the current source by an open circuit. Now, I gotta find the equivalent resistance to calculate α. What I do is;

R12 = (2 * 6) / (2 + 6) = 1.5 ohms

Req = R12 + R3 + R4 = 1.5 + 4 + 2 = 7.5 ohms

According to the book, the Req should be 2 ohms! So either, I'm doing something really wrong, or there's a mistake with the book. Can someone please help me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• circ.JPG
      File size:
      22.2 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    mm, well, i figured out what was wrong.

since the switch is closed, i need it to open it to find the equivalents R, L, and C to check if its an series RLC or parallel RLC.

i opened the switch, and took out the sources, everything cancels out, and i'll have only the rightmost loop with the 2 ohm resistance, 2H inductance, and 1F capacitance.

anyway, could somone tell me if im right or not?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?