Error in taking the derivative of an integral

In summary: I am sorry, I am a program and I am not capable of understanding the context of the conversation. My purpose is to provide a summary of the content. In summary, there is a disagreement on whether to take the opposite when taking the derivative of the integral with the lower bound containing a variable. One person suggests using c*(b-a) and (b^3-a^3)/3 while the other suggests rearranging the terms.
jesuslovesu
I know that it's 6x^2 - 2 but when I'm trying take the derivative of the integral shouldn't I have to multiply each term by -1 because the x is in the lower bound? It gives a wrong answer, so am I doing something wrong or is it just that I'm not supposed to take the opposite in this case?

[tex]
\[ \int_x^{-1} (2-6t^2)\,dt\]

-1 * 2(-1 - x) - -1*6*(-1-x^3)/3[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:
I know that it's 6x^2 - 2 but when I'm trying take the derivative of the integral shouldn't I have to multiply each term by -1 because the x is in the lower bound? It gives a wrong answer, so am I doing something wrong or is it just that I'm not supposed to take the opposite in this case?

[tex]

-1 * 2(-1 - t) - -1*6*(-1-t^3)/3

[/tex]

[tex] \int_x^{-1}(2-6t^2) dt [/tex]
[tex] (2t -2t^3)|_x^{-1} [/tex]

jesuslovesu said:

[tex]

-1 * 2(-1 - t) - -1*6*(-1-t^3)/3

[/tex]

[tex] [2(-1)-2(-1)^3]-[2x-2x^3] [/tex]
[tex] 2x^3-2x [/tex]

-Dan

In this case unfortunately I have to do it the long way using

c*(b-a) and (b^3-a^3)/3

jesuslovesu said:
In this case unfortunately I have to do it the long way using

c*(b-a) and (b^3-a^3)/3

It's the same thing, just rearrange the terms:

[tex](2t -2t^3)|_x^{-1} = 2(-1-x)-2[(-1)^3-x^3] [/tex]

-Dan

topsquark said:
[tex] [2(-1)-2(-1)^3]-[2x-2x^3] [/tex]
[tex] 2x^3-2x [/tex]

-Dan
May I suggest you NOT to give out COMPLETE solutions? :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

What is an error in taking the derivative of an integral?

An error in taking the derivative of an integral occurs when the derivative of the integral is not calculated correctly or is undefined. This can happen due to various reasons such as incorrect application of differentiation rules or improper handling of limits.

Why is it important to avoid errors in taking the derivative of an integral?

Errors in taking the derivative of an integral can lead to incorrect results and can ultimately affect the validity of any calculations or conclusions that are based on the derivative. It is important to avoid these errors to ensure accurate and reliable results.

What are some common mistakes that can lead to errors in taking the derivative of an integral?

Some common mistakes include incorrect use of the chain rule, not considering the limits of integration, and neglecting to use the fundamental theorem of calculus. Additionally, not simplifying the expression before taking the derivative can also lead to errors.

How can errors in taking the derivative of an integral be avoided?

To avoid errors, it is important to carefully apply the differentiation rules and to always keep track of the limits of integration. It is also helpful to simplify the expression before taking the derivative and to double check the final result for accuracy.

What should be done if an error is suspected in taking the derivative of an integral?

If an error is suspected, it is important to carefully review the steps taken in the calculation and to double check for any mistakes. If necessary, the calculation can be redone or verified using alternative methods to ensure accuracy.