Error injection using PC based modulator

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of injecting error into a transport stream using a PC-based modulator and its potential impact on the bit error rate (BER) of the stream. The speaker suggests that any corrupted packets at the receiving end will be resent and that careful testing can prevent the use of corrupt data. They also mention the existence of multiple methods for measuring BER and suggest that the error-detection and correction protocols may play a role in the observed behavior.
kirubanithi
Injecting error in the transport stream using the pc based modulator whether will affect the BER of the stream. Because while my testing the BER is not even varying but Transport stream error packet count will increase. Any one could you please the above beghaviour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kirubanithi
It is a long time since my training and not only have I forgotten much but much has changed. Also I admit to some guesswork in what follows.

It sounds to me as though you are sending yourself some data, messing with the data stream, and watching the error rate at the receive end of the bearer.
I believe any packets which are found to be corrupted at receive will be resent under command of the application which wants the data.
The numbered packet will possibly have gone missing when it is blocked at X25 level (packet data protocol) by the X25 modems in the local concentrator, whose functions must always include a test of the crc (cyclic redundancy check) which is sent as part of the packet.

After all nobody is interested in corrupt data, and data corrupted (due to faulty cable for instance) can be prevented from uselessly loading a network by careful testing to see that only actual data is sent.

(sorry no snappy signature yet)

Anyway, that's what I think I would have said 20 years ago.

As per the above explanation is there any possibilities to increase in BER of the stream. Or if there is no increment in BER of the stream means could you please explain the cause.

Hi again Kirubanithi
If my notion above is correct, I would elaborate by mentioning that more than one means of measuring 'bit error rate' exists.
In the opinion of a high-level application sending pseudo-random code over a noisy packet link, the link will be slower but still noise-free up to some limit. This is an artifact of the protocol, and in fact is the whole reason for the packet protocol's existence.
So the error-detection/correction in a shell of the communications system beyond ken of your BER software may be responsible for the intriguing effect.
It's a suggestion, no more.

Last edited:

I would like to address the issue of error injection using a PC-based modulator and its potential impact on the BER of the transport stream.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the BER (bit error rate) is a measure of the number of bit errors that occur in a given period of time in a communication system. This can be affected by various factors such as noise, interference, and channel conditions.

In the case of injecting errors using a PC-based modulator, it is possible for the BER to be affected. This is because the modulator is responsible for encoding the data into a format that can be transmitted through the channel. If errors are introduced during this process, it can lead to a higher BER.

However, it is also important to note that the BER may not always be a reliable measure of error introduction in the transport stream. This is because the transport stream may have error correction mechanisms in place that can correct errors and maintain a low BER even when errors are introduced.

In this scenario, it is possible for the transport stream error packet count to increase while the BER remains relatively unchanged. This could be due to the error correction mechanisms compensating for the errors introduced by the PC-based modulator.

To fully understand the behavior observed during testing, it would be necessary to analyze the specific error correction mechanisms in place and their effectiveness in correcting errors introduced by the modulator.

In conclusion, while the use of a PC-based modulator for error injection can potentially affect the BER of the transport stream, it is important to consider other factors such as error correction mechanisms and their impact on the overall error rate. Further analysis and testing may be needed to fully understand the observed behavior.

Related to Error injection using PC based modulator

1. What is error injection using PC based modulator?

Error injection using PC based modulator is a method used in scientific research to intentionally introduce errors into a system or device. This is done by using a modulator, which is a device that changes the characteristics of a signal, connected to a personal computer (PC). This allows researchers to study the effects of errors on a system or device and develop strategies to mitigate them.

2. How does error injection using PC based modulator work?

Error injection using PC based modulator works by connecting a modulator to a PC and using software to control the modulator and generate errors. The modulator can introduce errors such as noise, distortion, or timing errors into a signal, which is then sent to a system or device for testing. Researchers can adjust the parameters of the errors and monitor the effects on the system or device being tested.

3. What are the benefits of using PC based modulator for error injection?

Using a PC based modulator for error injection offers several benefits. It allows for precise and controlled injection of errors, which can be difficult to achieve with traditional methods. It also provides a cost-effective solution as a single PC and modulator can be used for multiple experiments. Additionally, the use of software allows for easy customization and automation of the error injection process.

4. What types of systems or devices can be tested with error injection using PC based modulator?

Error injection using PC based modulator can be applied to a wide range of systems and devices, including communication systems, electronic circuits, and software algorithms. It is particularly useful for testing the robustness and reliability of these systems in the presence of errors, which is crucial for their proper functioning in real-world scenarios.

5. What are some real-world applications of error injection using PC based modulator?

Error injection using PC based modulator has many real-world applications in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and automotive. For example, it can be used to test the performance of communication systems in noisy environments, evaluate the resilience of electronic systems to disturbances, and validate the safety and reliability of software algorithms used in critical systems.