1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error propagation with dependent variables

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Based on Microdosimetry theory, trying to figure out error propagation for a lot of quantities that are produced from radiation spectra. I am having trouble finding information on how to calculate and propagate errors when the quantities in my equations are not independent.

2. Relevant equations

I have a function called the dose-weighted lineal energy distribution:

[itex]d(y) = \frac{yf(y)}{y_{F}} = \frac{yf(y)}{\int{yf(y)dy}}[/itex]

I have calculated the constant [itex]y_F\pm\Delta y_F[/itex] using the measured quantity [itex]f(y)\pm\sqrt{f(y)}[/itex] but how do I find the uncertainty in the [itex]d(y)[/itex] distribution when these quantities are not independent? Note: [itex]\Delta y \approx 0[/itex] so this only concerns [itex]f(y)[/itex] and [itex]y_F[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had attempted doing this with the simplification method that I did in one of my 3rd year stats classes however I realised that this only applies for independent variables; don't know where to go know.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How do you calculate yF based on f(y)?

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    Edit: sorry, fixing up latex.

Thanks for responding. Given that each channel has been measured independently of the others, the counts in each channel [itex]f(y)\pm \sqrt{f(y)}[/itex] can be used in the "simplification method". To expand on the definition:

[itex]y_F = \int_{0}^{\infty}yf(y)dy = \Delta y \sum_{i = 1}^{n}y_{i}f(y_{i}) = \Delta y(y_{1}f(y_{1}) + y_{2}f(y_{2}) + ... + y_{n}f(y_{n})[/itex]

where [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is the lineal energy channel width, no the error in y - forgive my lack of consistency. Anyway, [itex]\Delta \Delta y \approx 0[/itex] so we don't consider it in the error calculation except as a scaling constant.

Treating each [itex]f(y_{i})\pm \Delta f(y_{i})[/itex] as indepdent variables we get:

[itex]
    \begin{align*}
    \Delta y_{F} &= \sqrt{(\frac{\partial}{\partial f(y_{1})}[y_{F}]\Delta f(y_{1}))^2 + (\frac{\partial}{\partial f(y_{2})}[y_{F}]\Delta f(y_{2}))^2 + ... + (\frac{\partial}{\partial f(y_{n})}[y_{F}]\Delta f(y_{n}))^2} \\
    &= \Delta y \sqrt{(y_{1}\Delta f(y_{1}))^2 + (y_{2}\Delta f(y_{2}))^2 + ... + (y_{n}\Delta f(y_{n})])^2}
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]

Is this valid?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted