1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Errors and analysis

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    we write [tex]\frac{1}{R}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}[/tex] where R is the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex].

Let there is an error in the measurements of [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex] of [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]\Delta R_1[/tex] and
    [tex]\pm [/tex][tex]\Delta R_2[/tex] respectively.
    Is it correct that
    [tex]\frac{\Delta R}{R^2}=\frac{\Delta R_1}{{R_1}^2}+\frac{\Delta R_2}{{R_2}^2}[/tex] ???

EDIT: Corrected

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2
    There is an error in the measurements of [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex] of [tex]\Delta R_1[/tex] and [tex]\Delta R_2[/tex] respectively.
    It is correct that [tex]\frac{\Delta R}{R^2}=\frac{\Delta R_1}{{R_1}^2}+\frac{\Delta R_2}{{R_2}^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    Bump!!:surprised
    Nobody tried to solve it.

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4
    I'm a bit new to this but I believe what you want is propagation of error, which in this case would be given by:

[tex]\Delta R = \sqrt{(\frac{\partial R}{\partial R_{1}} \Delta R_{1})^{2} + (\frac{\partial R}{\partial R_{2}} \Delta R_{2})^{2}}[/tex]

and the derivatives would be:
    [tex]\frac{\partial R}{\partial R_{1}} = \frac{1}{R_{1}^{2}} (R_{1}^{-1} + R_{2}^{-1})^{-2}[/tex]

and similarly for R2.

The best online explanation I could find is here:
    http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/PHY_LABS/AppendixB/AppendixB.html
    scroll down to almost the bottom where is has the title "Propagation of Errors".

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    BTW, this
    reduces to

[tex]\frac{\partial R}{\partial R_{1}} = \frac{R_{2}^{2}}{(R_{1} + R_{2})^{2}}[/tex]

Also, this reference
    is really great. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook